PDA

View Full Version : Dave Mustaine 1986 -what amps/effects etc?

origamikid
08-05-2008, 06:28 AM
Hey,

Got a question- Does anybody know what amps and pedels dave would have used back in the 80's?
I was just watching some live vids from 1986 and the tone mustaine (and possibly poland aswell) has is just incredible.
I seriously love the crunchy rawness of his tone and i was wondering if anybody knew what he used? or anyway i could emulate it nowadays?

Thanks!

dangerous_dave
08-05-2008, 06:35 AM
*Get Peace sells booklet...

Dave Mustaine
BC Rich Bich

Marshall 100 WT./50 WT. Amps 4-4 12 DeCuir Cabinets with celestions

Chris Poland
BC Rich Warlock

Marshall 100 WT. Amps, Rockman 4-4 12 DeCuir cabinets with Celestions.

That's all I can tell you, and it's copied from the booklet.

Dreamland_Rebel
08-05-2008, 12:05 PM
he's used the rocktron preamp/effects units for years and years with his marshalls.

Spivonious
08-05-2008, 12:16 PM
I've always heard that the Rocktron Prophesy with Marshall poweramps is what he used until the latest batch of albums.

If I was going to try and replicate his Peace Sells sound, I'd get a JCM800 and then start experimenting with different distortion pedals.

emperor_black
08-05-2008, 04:43 PM
He used Marshall JMP-1's way back then before the prophesy.

Musician78
08-06-2008, 07:05 AM
You actually want that tone? Wow. As much as I love Megadeth, and that album, I always thought the guitar tones were terrible.

Dreamland_Rebel
08-06-2008, 11:58 AM
You actually want that tone? Wow. As much as I love Megadeth, and that album, I always thought the guitar tones were terrible.

that's you age.

Peace sells sounds amazing.

Spivonious
08-06-2008, 01:13 PM

Blasphemer!!!

:lol:

themisfit138
08-06-2008, 03:56 PM
I would go with a JMP, the one I played could get very close to the Megadeth sound.

origamikid
08-06-2008, 05:44 PM
seriously go type "megadeth 1986 live" into youtube. Its the live show and listen to...wake up dead, just hear when the guitar singles out so its just mustaine playing you know with the "dur duna duh nah na nah" that sounds epic. And also Conjuring, the cool breakdown!

hmm this gear all sounds awfully expensive lol. I was hoping a pedel easily avaliable would be able to get me that crunchy dryness. I guess i culd just turn my mids down and experiment with stuff i got.

Thanks for help guys

emperor_black
08-06-2008, 06:31 PM
woah! we thought you wanted to replicate his exact gear! there are tons of options if you want to go the pedal route. But HE did not use a single pedal to get his sound. :)

To begin with, you could try the Boss Metal zone which is famous for the buzzaw type distortion.

GWARGHOUL
08-06-2008, 07:43 PM
JMP preamps did not even exist back then. neither did the Prophesy.

He was using JCM 800's, I don't know if they were modded or if he had something in front of them for the overdrive.

And his early tone was very mid-rangey... so I don;t think you want to scoop your amp.

I second the metal zone for experimentation, maybe a old Boss CE-3 and a cheap delay as well. That'll cover a lot of ground... and you can defintley dial in his tone.

themisfit138
08-07-2008, 12:19 PM
JMP preamps did not even exist back then. neither did the Prophesy.

He was using JCM 800's, I don't know if they were modded or if he had something in front of them for the overdrive.

And his early tone was very mid-rangey... so I don;t think you want to scoop your amp.

I second the metal zone for experimentation, maybe a old Boss CE-3 and a cheap delay as well. That'll cover a lot of ground... and you can defintley dial in his tone.
I was talking about the JMP head not the pre-amp

GWARGHOUL
08-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Oh. I always thought the 60-watt JMP heads sounded better than the 100 Watt.

Mazrim
08-11-2008, 06:25 AM
You can nail that tone (as well as a lot of others) with a Keeley MT-2 TZ. With perhaps a chorus pedal or something for solo's.
The BOSS GT-6 can do it with the MT-2/JCM settings and a wee bit of tweaking.

Otherwise a cranked JCM 800 with a Tubescreamer.

origamikid
08-12-2008, 06:00 AM
Just got a digitech DF-7 on the mega cheap so couldnt say no...il experiment with that as has emulations of many of the things you have mentioned....

I think its tough to get that old sorta tone these days, mabye cause you dont really hear it that often anymore. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIHcvL5z5b4
I meen just listen to the tone on that guitar after the initial solo, its just beautiful :D

In regards to the Chrous pedel (i have little to zero knowledge on pedels outside some basic knowledge on distortion) will the just bolster the sound through solos...?

I think the tubescreamer was a good call, it gives off quite a harsh crunchy tone. I think someone i know has a metal zone il give that a try ! thanks guys, any idea on what types of settings (gain mid etc) im going for :P

Thanks !!

KINGSFAN
08-12-2008, 04:59 PM
JCM 800 with a ProCo Rat box

Musician78
08-12-2008, 06:32 PM
that's you age.

Peace sells sounds amazing.

Lol, you're only one year and 12 days older than me. I don't think it's my age; I think it's my ears. I think they had awesome tones on Rust in Peace. Some of the best tones I have ever heard in fact.

MSGfan
08-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Dave M. was useing Marshalls and Rockman gear at that time(`86/`87) He used a Rockman Sustainor live along with Marshalls. Around that same time Dan Spitz of Anthax helped Dave get his endorment deal with Jackson.

paige
08-13-2008, 03:35 PM
It seems he also uses more highs then most people in this genre, atleast to my ears. The most important thing though is he is not tuned down to the depths of hell, that helps with the crispness of the cut through and attack, I believe anyway.

emperor_black
08-13-2008, 06:18 PM
It seems he also uses more highs then most people in this genre, atleast to my ears. The most important thing though is he is not tuned down to the depths of hell, that helps with the crispness of the cut through and attack, I believe anyway.

I always felt he was going for the direct opposite of metallica in terms of tone. While metallica was more scooped mids, bass-heavy, his tone was the cutting, high-midrange, trebly tone.

paige
08-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah, thats the way I hear it to. Atleast I'm deaf lol.