Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - THD Hotplate

Guys, help me out here.

I have a Peavey XXX Head and 4x12 cab that is a tad bit too loud for my Homeowners Association and was wondering (which) THD Hotplate I need to be looking at to buy. I see there are three or four different colors, is that how you tell them apart? Do I need to be lookingh for a certain Ohm specific Hotplate?

Help save my hearing... :ROTF:

Match it with the Ohms of your amp, or at least what you're running, you'll be happier with the results IMO... THD offers 4, 8 and 16 Ohm IIRC

Comment

From THD's site...

Hot Plate colors are related to their impedances. There are five different Hot Plate models: The 2Ω (gold), the 2.7Ω (green), the 4Ω (red), the 8Ω (purple), and the 16Ω (blue). To optimize tone and function, the impedance should be the same on your amplifier, Hot Plate and speaker cabinet. If you are unsure which Hot Plate to buy, Contact Us.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just keep in mind that you will surely be over attenuating that amp and no matter what you do its not gonna sound that great. Attenuators are designed to be used in moderation. Attenuating a 100w tube amp for low home volume level use is considered over attenuating. If you do buy one.. make sure you get a really good one. Be prepared to spend around $300.00. I never had any luck with attenuators for home use. Live.. they are GREAT.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

I'm using a Weber "Mass" attenuator and it has adjustable ohms for any application. It's very transparent, as I have not noticed any alteration of tone.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
              I'm using a Weber "Mass" attenuator and it has adjustable ohms for any application. It's very transparent, as I have not noticed any alteration of tone.

The Weber, huh? That looks pretty cool, too. What about the Marshall power Brake? Anyone have any experience with these?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernXer View Post
                The Weber, huh? That looks pretty cool, too. What about the Marshall power Brake? Anyone have any experience with these?
                A few guys here use them and like them. I had 2 of them though the years. In one word.... JUNK.

You are better off to put 2 heavy wool blankets over your speaker cabs and face them to the wall.

The only power soak (attenuator) that is worse than the power brake is the Sholtz Power Soak.
                Last edited by jgcable; 08-04-2008, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X