4X12 Question.. Straigth vs. Angled??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4X12 Question.. Straigth vs. Angled??

I think I might be getting a 4 X 12 and I can get either version.

Opinions?

Pros?

Cons?
    I'm straight all the way.
    41.18%
    I don't mind a little angle.
    58.82%

Spelling?

Comment

I have both. They both serve their purpose. When I like to use my hearing, I use the angled.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Always had straight cabs....More tone..... YMMV
        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

I swing both ways
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I always INSIST..straights in a full stack.

a slant in a half stack

PERIOD!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

i would go angled for a half, and one of each for a full

Comment

I make my full stacks with one of each, half stacks angled.

Comment

angled points the sound at your ears.
                  Scott

Comment

get a striaght cab cause eveyone else usually has an angled cab.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I prefer a straight cab for the extra bit of depth on top to better support my rack case.
                      sigpic

Comment

Straight seems to have better bass on the old JCM800s
                        www.JerryRobison.com
                        '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Yes, you'll get more low end resonance and focus with straight cabs..that's why I prefer them with Marshalls. But keep in mind they direct sound in a narrow path compared to slant cabs. In a full stack with all straight cabs, the top cab will be right at ear level. If the top cab is a slanted..the top two speakers are angles up and will project over your head..unless you're a sasquatch.

That's why I like slants better in half stacks. Because the top half is angled to your ears.

I'm sure eveyone knows by now that your tone changes with your position to the amp/cab . Try this, whenever you think your tone is a little too bright or has too much "sizzle" while facing your cab..simply turn your back..big difference. Sometimes what you thought was too bright is not bright enough whenever you step to the side of the cab. That's just playing alone..adding drums, bass, guitar, vox in the mix is another issue..then everything changes. At that time you have to tweak your tone to sound good within that mess of fregs.

I don't know about you guys, but I hate dialing my amp with a second guitarist. The tone you dial to blend well is nothing close to what your happy with alone..in my experience anywhoo.

That's some of reasons I prefer all straights in a full stack and a slant for a half stack.

I run my Marhsall rack with four Marshall 1960B straight cabs, and my Uberschall with a Marshall 1960A slant cab. My son and I always play together. The Bogner with one cab completely squashes my Marshalls running four cabs in low end..it actually sounds like a bass amp..even with the low control cut back 50%. But the Marshall cuts thru everything so much better that my Bogner does..like a fuggin' knife. I must say they sound AWESOME together! But I wish I could get THAT sound with one amp!!!

BTW..I'm not a fan of open or semi open back cabs. I had a couple nice Mesa Boogie cabs like that. They disperse sound better in a room/ area than close backs..but I love the focus and tight low end of closed back cabs.

That's just my opinion playing these damn things. But you gotta go with whatever you like..
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                            Spelling?
                            *** No, that's a "Lisp"!

Comment

"I don't know about you guys, but I hate dialing my amp with a second guitarist. The tone you dial to blend well is nothing close to what your happy with alone..in my experience anywhoo."

True that...You spend time and money dialing in the tone you want then have to change it to blend with someone else...One guitar bands are where it's at!
                              www.JerryRobison.com
                              '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Working...
                              X