Multi FX straight to the input of an amp and not to the FX Loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi FX straight to the input of an amp and not to the FX Loop

If you run a Multi FX straight to the input of an amp (like you have to on the new Digitech RP500) and not thru the FX Loop, how do you set up your eq?

a) do you live it on the middle
    b) do you use first put eq the amp to what you like and then eq the patches to taste
    c) something else?
    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
    custom made Les Paul
    VOX Tonelab LE
    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
    ADA MP1
    BBE 422A
    Lexicon MPX-G2
    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
    Support Your Local 81

"like you have to on the new Digitech RP500"

News to me?

I'd run any multi-fx unit straight into the effects return jack.
    Why so serious?

Comment

Set it up any way you want, whatever sounds best to you.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        "like you have to on the new Digitech RP500"

News to me?

I'd run any multi-fx unit straight into the effects return jack.

Yes they don't have FX Lopp... very strange because for me this would be standard now.
        custom made Les Paul
        VOX Tonelab LE
        ADA MP1
        BBE 422A
        Lexicon MPX-G2
        ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
        Support Your Local 81

Comment

The FX unit doesn't need an FX loop on it, and most don't have them anyway. You run a cable from the output/send of your FX unit into the return/in of your amp's loop. And then you just run your guitar into the FX unit's input.

If the FX unit has two outputs (left and right), then you can run two cables into your amp's loop... that is if your amp has a stereo loop and has two return jacks. That's how I run my Boss GT-8 into my old Marshall 8240 Valvestate combo. The FX loop on the GT-8 is only for running external FX pedals in the loop of the GT-8 and not the amp.

If your amp doesn't have a loop, then you have to run the unit straight into the input of the amp.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Uh oh, I just got a tube head and I'm running a cable from the send to a sonic stomp in, to the out on the sonic, to the input on a xt live, from there the left output on the xt to the return on the head. It works and according to the cheasy online manual seemed right but now I'm not sure if I'm fugging something up. Please help.

Comment

Originally posted by El Chiguete View Post
              Yes they don't have FX Lopp... very strange because for me this would be standard now.
              Sorry, I wasn't clear enough on that - plug your guitar into the pedal's input, then run the output of the pedal into your amp's effects return jack. This bypasses the preamp of your amp, so your amp is essentially turned into a power amp with the RP500 being used as the preamp.
              Why so serious?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                Sorry, I wasn't clear enough on that - plug your guitar into the pedal's input, then run the output of the pedal into your amp's effects return jack. This bypasses the preamp of your amp, so your amp is essentially turned into a power amp with the RP500 being used as the preamp.

Now this I dind't know that was the way to be done. Cool.
                custom made Les Paul
                VOX Tonelab LE
                ADA MP1
                BBE 422A
                Lexicon MPX-G2
                ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                Support Your Local 81

Comment

Originally posted by paige View Post
                  Uh oh, I just got a tube head and I'm running a cable from the send to a sonic stomp in, to the out on the sonic, to the input on a xt live, from there the left output on the xt to the return on the head. It works and according to the cheasy online manual seemed right but now I'm not sure if I'm fugging something up. Please help.
                  You're not messing anything up. Guitar>amp;amp FX Send>external FX> another external FX> amp FX Return=no problem.

As long as you're not sending the amp's preamp into another preamp and trying to use the distortions of both. If you're using the preamp of the XT (amp models), then you might want to plug the guitar into the Stomp or XT first then run that Output into the amp's Return, completely bypassing the amp's preamp.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks. I was just trying to use the delay, chorus, and reverb from the xt, and use the amps natural overdrive and eq for the tone. I tried it the way described above using the xt's preamp and really don't care for it so I guess I will switch it back. Thanks.

Comment

for any multi-fx, I always use the 4 cable method.

Comment

Working...
                      X