G-Major & Uberschall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-Major & Uberschall

So I bought a GMajor to put in my Uberschalls loop, but I seem to be losing a lot of volume doing this. I'm supposed to adjust the input & output knobs so the input meters don't overflow (i.e. stay in the green), but I think the unit sucks too much volume as I have to nearly turn it all the way down for that.
    I like to keep my channel 2 volume high (between 12 & 3 o'clock) because I think it adds a nice crunch to the sound (or perhaps that's because the volume is just higher and maybe the same can be achieved by increasing the master vol...).
    Anyway, the problem is even worse when switching to the clean channel because the output of the preamp is a lot less on this channel... The volume difference between the 2 channels is even bigger now.
    Any other G Major users out there care to shed some light on this? Or is it ok to overflow the input of the G Major? Or should I just adjust the preamp volume so I stay in the green on the unit?

Its been a while since my G-Major was setup and at the time we basically copied my friend's settings from his G-Major into mine but mine works fine in my Uber's loop. Perhaps you need to go into the G-Major's patches and adjust levels in there? Also, are you sure everything is matched as far as line vs. inst level? The Uber loop is line level.
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

You need to keep the channels on your amp at a relatively same volume level. What you need to do is balance the channel volumes on your Uber and turn them all up or down with a combination of the master volume and the G-Major input and output volumes. When I used a G-major the knob I used the most was the output on the G-Major itself. You have to make sure you have unity gain (which is a balance between the G-major in the loop and when its bypassed). Once you have that you are 1 step closer.

Comment

SlaZ

I'm having exactly the same issue right nw, and I've posed this question on just about every fucking forum and I've emailed Bogner and talked to Jorg and Charley there and they don't have many answers either.

The overwhelmingly popular answer is that there is an impedance mismatch in the loop.

I still havn't figured out what to do about it, so I bought a new amp instead hahahaha

I've managed to use my Axe FX with it a little better than the G-force or G-major or Lexicon MPX1 and so many other things.

It's just not meant to be used this way in an efficient manner. So I don't know what else to say other than I'm continuing to try to figure it out a well.

I have a Rev 1 Uber with no send level on the loop.

C

Comment

The default settings in the G Major drop your signal 6 db. The idea is that you'll play rhythm here and then adjust it up towards 0 db loss for solos. Go in to your patches and change the levels to 0 db and see what it does. I have no experience with the Uberschall w/ effects, but have a hard time imagining the base loop isn't properly buffered....but stranger things have happened. However, my SLO definitely has an issue with the mismatch of the volumes of the two channels into any effects. I have to program different patches for clean vs. distorted sound there and make sure there are no carry-overs during channel changes.

Comment

rstites

I had a hard time believeing my Uber was all jacked up too, but it's a sa reality, the loop just doesn't work that well, It also alters the dry tone of the amp.

I really love the amp with the loop bypassed, it spits hot fire! but when it's engaged, no matter what unit you put into it, there is a significant volume drop, and I also did the -6db to 0db or even +6 db and there is still a difference when the loop is bypassed VS when it's on and effected.

I don't know what to say, otherwise the amp sounds retarded good!

C

Comment

Well it's known that the Uberschall's loop is not that great (neither is the SLO100 loop for that matter), which is a shame really.
              Mine has a volume knob (first blue rev) and when I engage it with just a ProRackG in it I don't hear a volume drop or any sound alteration. But the GMajor forces me to take away a lot of volume because the input signal would overflow otherwise...

Comment

Here's an excuse for more equipment! The classic way to deal with this in SLO circles is to run out the DI, into the rack effects, through a separate solid state power amp, and into a separate cab. Instant stereo effects and unaltered straight amp all at once. However, hauling around a couple of 4x12s, plus head, plus rack can be a pain.

That's all I've got to offer here.... unless you just skip effects or run them strictly on clean in front of the amp the way "god meant for it to happen"...which is what I've mostly done with the SLO. It's not that the loop sucks so bad, as that the SLO sounds so good dry, it's pointless to run effects on the distortion channel.

Comment

Hmmmmmm. I havent had this problem. My only suggestion is to make sure the channel vol on ch 2 is kept down. I run mine with master full on, ch2 vol at ~9 or 10 o'clock and control total vol with g-major output knob. The Uber sure does sound good. Very big 3D wall of guitars tone.

Comment

Originally posted by thenine View Post
                    Hmmmmmm. I havent had this problem. My only suggestion is to make sure the channel vol on ch 2 is kept down. I run mine with master full on, ch2 vol at ~9 or 10 o'clock and control total vol with g-major output knob. The Uber sure does sound good. Very big 3D wall of guitars tone.
                    Yeah, Mine's all good too.

Hey Nine do you use the G Major's output as the actually master volume since your Uber's Master is full on. I was doing that for a while. But I thiought it sounded a tad better when I backed it off to about 12 O clock..then I turn up the G major to tatse..either for practice or jammin' with my kid on drums.

YES..My gain knob is still MAXED. I can play just fine with it @ 10 O clock, 12 O clock, 2 O clock and so on..but it doesn't have that "Growl" I love until its dimed!

Everyone who's played mine agrees..so its not just me.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I guess my problem is then that I run the CH2 volume too high... But that's how I like it best actually. Very punchy with CH2 vol around 2-3 o'clock

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                        Yeah, Mine's all good too.

Hey Nine do you use the G Major's output as the actually master volume since your Uber's Master is full on. I was doing that for a while. But I thiought it sounded a tad better when I backed it off to about 12 O clock..then I turn up the G major to tatse..either for practice or jammin' with my kid on drums.

YES..My gain knob is still MAXED. I can play just fine with it @ 10 O clock, 12 O clock, 2 O clock and so on..but it doesn't have that "Growl" I love until its dimed!

Everyone who's played mine agrees..so its not just me.
                        Yeah Bro. Master full on. I am using the G-major output for master vol. I will give your method a try but I try not to mess with my levels too much once I have my patches set.

I am really surprised at the anti-Uber comments I have read on the net - here and other places. The OD channel is just monstrous for me. Really a killer voicing on that and a very big 3-D type sound. I have 3 other heads: a Splawn modded 1987, a Cameron modded 800 and an old 800 NMV that I run a pedal board into. The Uber is the funnest to place thru if that makes any sense. I have heard lots of ppl complain about the Ubers loop but I am wondering if they have spent enough time with level matching on their patches. Especially level matching at band volume because for me things can change radically if you set up practice patches and then try to use them with a drummer and another guitar player. YMMV.

Comment

Dude I've sepnt about as much time as anyone would dare to spend fuckin with my amp and the loop, I'm like SlaZ though I really love running my channle volume up at around 11'o clock with the master on just a bit under that, it's where the best tone lay for me with my Uber but it just isn't happening otherwise, I LOVE the amp dry, 100% but it's not usable for me if I can't use the loop. what I was getting at was when I want my dry tone I want it 100% dry, nothing in the loop but when I run it like that VS with effects in the loop I CAN'T match the volumes, anyhow I've fixed the problem and the Uber is now for sale!

C

Comment

Working...
                          X