Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can an amp go bad over time when stored?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an amp go bad over time when stored?

If you have a brand new fully functional amp and you store it for like 10 years or something, can the components run down or break down just from time alone? Assuming it's kept like in a closet, in an air conditioned environment, but just never used. Do transformers have a "shelf life?" Just wondering...
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

It should be fine. I've read filter caps can fail if kept for long periods of time in hot and humid environments, but in a temperate, controlled one, you should not have issues. Never heard of transformers doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
      If you have a brand new fully functional amp and you store it for like 10 years or something, can the components run down or break down just from time alone? Assuming it's kept like in a closet, in an air conditioned environment, but just never used. Do transformers have a "shelf life?" Just wondering...
      One of the guitar mags just had a question about that and they answered that they usually power up a long dormant amp slowly bringing the power up by using a Hot Plate or something I believe. Caps are usually what goes bad. Having said that, I've never gone through that procedure and years ago when I was out of town at school my mid 70's Marshall Super Lead sat for a few years unplayed. When I finally played it again I just fired it up and let it sit on stand by to warm up as I normally do and then played it
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Hey Joe, I just found the magazine that has this issue addressed. Its in the Guitar World Sept 2008 issue (has Hendrix Electric Ladyland on the cover), Page 172 Its called Shock The Junkie.
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

generally all will be well....that being said I did have one amp (soundcity)that had been stored away for 4 years,and sizzled,cracked,and popped before it died when I first fired it up again.....evidently the spider inside got cooked,popped in a new mains fuse and all was well

Comment

Originally posted by SiriusAbbott View Post
            generally all will be well....that being said I did have one amp (soundcity)that had been stored away for 4 years,and sizzled,cracked,and popped before it died when I first fired it up again.....evidently the spider inside got cooked,popped in a new mains fuse and all was well
            Good point. I would blow out the amp with dry compressed air and inspect it to make sure no critters have made a home and are jumping out any circuitry. Leaky caps would be my second worry, bad caps could kill your trannys.
            www.JerryRobison.com
            '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Thanks, all!
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Just make sure it isn't too dusty. It should have no effect.

Comment

If you have, say, an old blackface Fender thats been sitting in your closet for 40 years, it's definitely totaled. I'll give you $100 for it (which I can probably write off as a charity donation).

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                    One of the guitar mags just had a question about that and they answered that they usually power up a long dormant amp slowly bringing the power up by using a Hot Plate or something I believe. Caps are usually what goes bad. Having said that, I've never gone through that procedure and years ago when I was out of town at school my mid 70's Marshall Super Lead sat for a few years unplayed. When I finally played it again I just fired it up and let it sit on stand by to warm up as I normally do and then played it
                    That info is correct. Caps go bad if not used for long periods of time.

A "few years unplayed" you mention is different than ten years. I do power up my tube amps every once in a while to keep the caps formed. Realize that caps don't go bad all at once (well, they could if they want to). They slowly go bad over time. Each time you abuse the amp (powering up after ten years of sitting) you contribute to the failure.

What you need is a variac, not a Hot Plate. A variac lets you power the amp up from a lower voltage. You can start at 10 volts, and slowly work your way up to 120/220/240 volts (whatever your full wall voltage is). EVH used a variac to lower the voltage to his Marshall to get "the tone"

Or just power up you tube amps from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                    X