Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 questions about an eventual CS

Hello all

I already own a KV2, now it is fully paid and Im thinking about having a frikkin CS done

First q is : How much do you think it would cost me?

Specs

RR1 7 string thru body
    Mahogany body (cutaways on body like the demmelition V) + mahogany neck thru
    Ebony frettboard
    UPDATED : 4X3 headstock
    Prolly 24 jumbo fretts
    Gold hardware + gold pickguard and gold V plate
    Finish : marble blue (go on guitarasylum to see a RR1 marble blue with gold hardware to get an idea)
    dunno about inlays, maybe reversed mother of pearl sharkfins
    PUPS : UPDATED, prolly a single EMG 707 bridge humbucker, that could change

Im sure I havent put all the specs necessary to determine value feel free to ask me more details

2nd Question : What pups config would you guys suggest for a 7 stringer? Obviously I want it to sound loud as hell, I play mostly death metal and black like Dimmu, Hypocrisy, Suffocation etc etc

So finally, tell me guys, with your pick ups config suggestion, how much do you think it would cost me?

Im realistic I know it can be over 5 grands

thank you!
    Last edited by Nova; 07-29-2008, 11:49 AM.

As long as you're already prepared to spend $5K, I'd stick with that number. It'll probably come in between $3500 and $4500, but that's just a guess.

As for pickups, that's entirely up to you, but you should keep in mind that if you get 7-string Duncans, they probably won't route the cavities large enough to fit EMG 7s in it (maybe if you told them to route the whole cavity and mount the pickups on rings?)

However, if you get EMGs, then you can change them out to ring-mounted Duncans later and the cavities will be large enough for either one.

As for the headstock, by "common" do you mean "non-reverse"? If so, I think you'll find the reverse headstock works best because of the extra length, and because of the sharp angle required for the low B coming off the nut to the tuner, which may cause issues with tuning stability on that one string, or may stress the nut slot too much.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

very interesting
      Indeed I meant non-reverse, standard on RR1s and KV2s, but you bring out a very good point

and about the pickups, I still dont know if I would go only with a single bridge humbucker or also add a neck humbucker...lol

so many questions

Comment

btw I edited first post for the specs, I forgot the cutaways on the body like demmelition V

Comment

Since you're doing a KV shape, I'd suggest getting the 4x3 SLS-style head. It suits the V body, especially with a 7-string.

Someone here has a Custom Shop 7-string KV with the 4x3 head. Hopefully he'll pop in with a picture.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

well look, the body and finish would be exactly like this, it is RR based not KV based since one tip is shorter, just add the cutaways from the demmelition V :

make it 7 strings thru body instead, + V plate and pickguard

for the headstock I know what you mean with 4x3 head, I just went to the Custom shop generator on this site (very practical) and indeed, a headstock that looks more like the KV2T would be awesome! Better, IMO, than a reversed standard, fist post updated!
            Last edited by Nova; 07-26-2008, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Be very specific with specs and always, like evey two weeks make the dealer get you pics and progress on the build. If you dont you may not get what you want.

I had this happen to me on two custom orders. They just showed up wrong. If I had been bothering Jackson for pics every other week it could have been avoided.

Comment

Ah, I thought you were wanting a KV shape since you mentioned you just got one.

But yeah, the Rhoads shape with the kutz would look nice, even with the 4x3 head.

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                  Be very specific with specs and always, like evey two weeks make the dealer get you pics and progress on the build. If you dont you may not get what you want.

I had this happen to me on two custom orders. They just showed up wrong. If I had been bothering Jackson for pics every other week it could have been avoided.
                  oh it is possible to ask for updates and even pics of the progress? thats nice

Comment

Originally posted by Nova View Post
                    oh it is possible to ask for updates and even pics of the progress? thats nice
                    Yes but you have to keep asking your dealer to get them otherwise you wont. You have to push and insist and they will share info with you. If I ever order a CS again I am going to do this.

Comment

What happened to your CS btw?

Comment

I guess I would go with a single bridge EMG 707 humbucker

What about DiMarzio 7 strings pickups, are they any good?

Comment

Originally posted by Nova View Post
                          What happened to your CS btw?
                          Story here:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83331

Comment

wow, I posted in it...makes you think twice about that 5000 bucks heh...

Comment

Working...
                            X