Red Bear Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bear Amps

Has anyone heard of Red Bear amps? A shop here has one He says it is a nice amp, but no one is really interested in them due to their off-brand status, like Sovtek amps. What kind of gain can I look for? It's been there forever, and I'm positive I could probably walk away with it for a really good price. I think it's the MK60. Offhand, they look like Marshall JCM800 copies with the Russian equivalent to 5881 power tubes. I can rent it, as I can't try it at the shop, but I don't want to sink $50 into something I may not dig.

As for their origin, I read some guy named Sergei Novikov designed them, but that doesn't mean much to me tbh. I also read it was a collaboration with Gibson USA, but the amps were built in Russia. So does anyone know a lot about these? Thanks. Also apparently handwired, which is cool.

Any relation to Fred Bear?

Comment

http://www.angelfire.com/ok2/joseph3...ear/index.html
      check out that link its the red bear amp site

Comment

Checked the site. what I'm really looking for is an in depth review that describes the EQ and sound quality. Right now on the surface, it sounds like a Marshall on steroids. May need to take the plunge to find out...

Comment

There is one here in my local store. I went to give it a try and after about 2 minutes decided the speaker was blown. Until they get it swapped out I cant really say alot about the tone, lol.
          Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

i heard they were built by sovtek or in the same factory as the MIG

Comment

Thanks for that tidbit. The Red Bear do appear very similar to the MiG, so at least now I have a good idea what I'm getting into. If they still have it, I think I'll nab it as I've always wanted a MiG.

Comment

For what it's worth, my other consideration is a Marshall Artist 3203, though I'm leaning towards the Red Bear as it would probably cover my lack of a high gain amp, and I have Marshall/British voiced stuff already.

Comment

I have had a few Migs. Get the one with the H after the Mig logo. They have much more gain the the Mig 100 or Mig U series. Also, I have had the 3203. Great head too. If you get a mig100h or the 3203 they both are nice Hotrodded 800 type heads.

If you have the cash to spare. Try a Splawn. I was searching for a hotrodded Marshall sounding head and actually had the 3203 a month before landing the Splawn.

I have an older Pro Mod and if you keep looking on ebay you will find an older Quick Rod or pro mod for around a grand.
                  Last edited by Firebird V; 07-25-2008, 07:12 PM.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOVTEK-MIG-100-W...QQcmdZViewItem

Mig 100 H on ebay right now...

Comment

How much are they asking for it?
                      '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                      '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                      custom made Les Paul
                      VOX Tonelab LE
                      Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                      ADA MP1
                      BBE 422A
                      Lexicon MPX-G2
                      ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                      Support Your Local 81

Comment

It is bid to win. right now it is under 400 US but still has days left. Oh yeah. Forgot to tell you that all of the Sovtek Migs work well with the Soldano HotMod. I put that in a few of those and they sounded great.

Comment

I could probably get it for $200. I have thought of a Splawn... Not sure I'm quite ready to fork out that kind of cash yet. I want to try out the Hot Rodded Marshall sound, maybe try to figure out some Mods if they are indeed wired like a JCM and point to point. That said, you can never have too many Marshall clones

Comment

argh, the forum just ate my post two times in a row, here's hoping the 3rd times the charm....

I have a red bear mk120. like you describe, it's very much like a jcm800, although with more available gain, and more low end. with the 'sensitivity' switch unengaged, it has more-or-less the same amount of gain as an 800, and considerably more with it engaged. I tend to keep the bass knob fairly low as it can get a bit out of hand, especially with the mids up, as the mids knob seems to add a fair amount of bass as well. it tends to like bright-ish guitars (again, probably the amounts of low end) and I find that fairly hot pickups (or a clean boost) really make it come alive.

they're kinda ugly beasts:

(underneath the VHT, missing its faceplate)

for $200, I'd totally go for it (assuming it's in decent shape), they regularly go for twice that, so if you find you don't gel with it you could flip it pretty easily.

edit: oh yeah, and FWIW, these have funky preamps stock (6n2p's, I think). mine has been modded for 12ax7's, which as far as I know is a pretty straightforward and easy mod. I could help with finding schematics and such if you get it and want to do the conversion. the 6n2p's are lower gain, so switching to 12ax7's increases the gain over the stock configuration.

Lemme know if there's anything else I can help with, info-wise. I can take some gutshots and that sort of thing if you want as well.

Comment

There is a local store near me that has a 1X12 combo for $235.00. I mentioned to the guy that you needed to mod it before putting 12ax7's in it. I didnt look at the tubes, but I think someone switched out the stock ones already. I thought the speaker was blown, but I believe there is a problem with the wrong tubes in it. I let them know so nobody has an unpleasant surprise.
                              Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

Working...
                              X