Truss Rod Adjustment RR1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss Rod Adjustment RR1

I have a 2006 RR1. I have string buzz. So I adjusted it To make low E string further away from frett, I am turning the truss rod nut away from me. (Guitar with low E facing me)
    It will not give any more space. The truss rod nut is pretty loose. The owner manual says .020 mm. Not happening.
    Any advice, Other than taking it somewhere to have it looked at.

If the nut is loose and you have string buzz,

1) is the action too low?

2) is the guitar tuned to something other than E?

3) are you using ultra-lite strings that aren't pulling on the neck hard enough?

4) did you wait 24 hours for the neck to adjust after loosening the truss rod?

Comment

send the guitar to a pro tech and let him set it up properly , you may have raised frets , twisted neck, bridge set up imporperly .. it could be anything and if the truss rod nut is all the way loose then your neck is obviously not set up right.. take it to someone who can look at it and tell you exactly whats going on.

Comment

You're turning it the wrong way. Turn it about 8 full turns clockwise. That'll fix'r.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
          You're turning it the wrong way. Turn it about 8 full turns clockwise. That'll fix'r.
          That's soooo cruel....
          The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Disturbing Manor View Post
            That's soooo cruel....
            Hush. :ROTF:

Comment

Seriously though, this kinda thing bothers me. If you don't know what you're doing, don't touch the fucking truss rod. There's a cover on it for christ's sake. The bridge posts are right there exposed with no cover. Get an allen key and mess around with those all you want, but if you don't know anything about guitars, don't mess with anything that has a cover over it.

Comment

Yeah but it you never mess with it, you'll never learn how to mess with it. I would mess with it on a cheap guitar first. Although the first time I ever did it was on my KV2... I am very impatient....
                "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

there was a guy who fell for this kinda joke once.

$3000 guitar = totaled think it was a high end gibson or something really expensive like that.

Comment

Seriously though, this kinda thing bothers me. If you don't know what you're doing, don't touch the fucking truss rod. There's a cover on it for christ's sake. The bridge posts are right there exposed with no cover. Get an allen key and mess around with those all you want, but if you don't know anything about guitars, don't mess with anything that has a cover over it.
                    Please.

Like someone above said, if you don't ever mess with it, how are you supposed to learn?

People need to get over the fear of truss rods. Seriously. They are not that big of a deal as long as you follow one rule. If it won't move, DON'T FORCE IT!

Thats it. Other than that, go for it! Just understand that while the neck may move right away, it can settle for up to 24/48 hours after the adjustment.

It's a piece of cake people. Every new guitar I get I go at the rod to see how far the neck will go. Never, ever had a problem because I remember that one rule above.

Seriously, people are paying up to $50 now for something they should do themselves. Get over the fear.

As for the OP. Maybe shim the nut if the buzz is by the first frets. If not, try to make it as straight as possible, that can remove buzz too.
                    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Agreed that it's not rocket science, but do some reading first. The truss rod isn't the first thing to mess with when you have buzz. Find out exactly where the buzz is coming from first. Learn about neck relief and how to measure it. Understand all of the factors that go into a good setup and how they interact with each other. Once you have that down, then you'll be confident in which adjustment you need to make.

Comment

If you rod feels very loose, then tighten it a bit but do not turn more than 1/4 turns at a time and give the neck 5 minutes to adjust before turning it again. You most probably have your neck backbowed now. Press the low E on first fret and 17th fret then extend your finger to bump the string against 7th fret. There should be some space between the bottom of the string and the fret top say like under .5 mm if you want minimum buzz during the string attack. When you adjust the relief, slowly lower the bridge until taste or it starts buzzing, which ever comes first.

If your frets and neck are ok, that should fix it. No biggie.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                          Please.

Like someone above said, if you don't ever mess with it, how are you supposed to learn?

People need to get over the fear of truss rods. Seriously. They are not that big of a deal as long as you follow one rule. If it won't move, DON'T FORCE IT!

Thats it. Other than that, go for it! Just understand that while the neck may move right away, it can settle for up to 24/48 hours after the adjustment.

It's a piece of cake people. Every new guitar I get I go at the rod to see how far the neck will go. Never, ever had a problem because I remember that one rule above.

Seriously, people are paying up to $50 now for something they should do themselves. Get over the fear.

As for the OP. Maybe shim the nut if the buzz is by the first frets. If not, try to make it as straight as possible, that can remove buzz too.

agreed

Also to be mentioned are that there are numerous threads on this topic.

Comment

That'll fix er goood :ROTF:

Comment

No, it's not rocket science.
                              BUT, you don't use the truss rod to adjust string height. That's not what it's for. If the OP had bothered to ask BEFORE he messed with the truss rod, he would have known that. Asking about something after the fact shows a lack of common sense.

I've had to repair 2 guitars in the last year that had severe backbows because some idiot had tightened the truss rod too much. Yes, they can be fixed, but it's a hell of a lot of work, and there is never a guarantee that the backbow won't return. Good way to ruin a perfectly good guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X