Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you reduce the sticky finish on..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you reduce the sticky finish on..

a Jackson Soloist neck? Would a really fine grit sandpaper work without totally wrecking the painted appearance? I'm just curious because I'm starting to think maybe I really might go with a soloist SL1 over a new dinky.....but the SL1 I tried had such a sticky neck. That was probably the biggest obstacle for me more than the neck size. For a clear coat on a maple neck ,I always use a fine sandpaper, but will this work for a painted neck?

If it's that big of a deal for you, consider buying a DK1, PC1 or Charvel, instead - all have oiled necks.

Comment

Wash your hands before you play it...seriously.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
        Wash your hands before you play it...seriously.
        And use some guitar polish on the neck, too.

Though, if it bugs you that much, you can lightly scuff the clear coat with sandpaper or scotchbrite pads and be able to buff it back out to high gloss later on.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Or you could just take some razorblades and rubb it all off, then oil it in yourself.
          Tell me about it!

Comment

That's VERY time consuming though =P
            Tell me about it!

Comment

And you can stop judging Jacksons based on what you try out at Guitar Center

Seriously, if your hand is sticking to the clearcoat, you either have a serious hygiene issue or you're playing something that tons of people have been playing and is never cleaned/polished.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah, just clean the neck and it should be fine.
                "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Comment

A little guitar polish on the back does just fine!!

Comment

Eh, you can wash your hands and polish the guitar's neck all you want but there's nothing like a finely oiled unfinished neck. I had forgot how sweet they felt until I owned a Charvel again.

Comment

+1 to cleaning the neck.

Is it safe to assume that painted necks feel the same as lacquered necks?
                        Scott

Comment

Yup. Same clearcoat, different color coat.

However, nitro will react to heat and moisture whereas poly will not. It's easier for nitro lacquer to get tacky with minimal yet intense playing, but Jackson uses poly, so it's all up to how clean your hand is and how well you polish the neck.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Before you resort to fine sandpaper, I'd use some Virtuoso Polish. That stuff is awesome. Beware though, if you go into shredding mode your hand may fly off the neck. The stuff is slick.
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I wash my hands every time before I play, otherwise the neck feels sticky, even on an unfinished neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X