X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6505 combo a mistake?

6505 2x12 combo - £839
    6505 head - £679

I realise this kinda falls into both "combo vs. cab" and "is this the right amp?" categories, which is why I could do with some specific opinions on this. Ultimately I'm just an office player (recently started toying with recording), so I don't really want to have to crank the volume to get a decent tone...which would seem to advocate the combo (60W vs. 100W), though I'm not sure if that's just wasting money when a head + 2x12 cab (which unfortunately doesn't seem to come in 6505/5150 flavour) would be a more intelligent buy.

I'm pretty sure I want a 5150 kind of sound (i.e., high gain with tone), but if I'm looking too narrowly please school me.

Truthfully, if you're going to be playing at home where volume is an issue, I wouldn't even bother with a tube amp. Even at 60 watts, 6505/6505+ combo is going to be pretty loud even on one.

You should look into the slew of modelers available. Boss, Line 6, and Vox all have great products that you can use to jam as well as record. Good luck!

Comment

60 watts is VERY loud. 20 watts is too loud for my needs...

Comment

+1 on going for a modeller. I have an Epi valve jr (5 watts!) for a while, and once you cranked that thing up enough to get the valves cooking it was way too loud to be reasonable.
        Why so serious?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          +1 on going for a modeller. I have an Epi valve jr (5 watts!) for a while, and once you cranked that thing up enough to get the valves cooking it was way too loud to be reasonable.
          Yep. Those Epi VJ's are loud as hell, and only 5 watts!

Comment

Personally I NEVER liked the combos..they don't sound the same as their big brothers, and they weigh a ton. BUT, Steve has a point if its for home..its plenty loud enough and there other options for those needs.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              Personally I NEVER liked the combos..
              +1 except for Laney AOR combos. The came with a sealed back cab. And yes, it weighs a ton.

Comment

+ 1 on the combos are heavy point. Only get one if you're not planning on moving it very often.

+ 1 on the tube amps have to be loud to sound their best point. If volume is a concern, don't bother with a tube amp; you will only be wasting your money.
                Scott

Comment

well, you could get the head, and if volumes an issue, an attenuator, like the THD Hot Plate, or Marshall Powerbrake

Comment

I believe the Peavey Vypyr that was announced at NAMM will have models of all the Peavey amps. Maybe that would be a better option for lower-volume use.
                    sigpic

Comment

or you could do like me and play through 100 watt amps at home and not worry about the volume. my main home rig is a 100 watt rivera M100 w/ a 2x10 cab. i also use a rivera M100 1x12 combo at home sometimes (mostly it collects dust - i prefer the 2x10 over the 1x12 for home use) and, if i feel like playing a HUGE clean sound, i use an old fender tremolux with a weber 1x12 cab.

but, i live alone and can make as much noise as i want because i don't upset any neighbors....SOOO, if you are in a similar situation, go for the 6505 - if not, look into a modelling amp.....

and DO NOT plan on that 6505 combo to easily moved about....those things weigh a TON. the ONLY time my rivera 1x12 combo (weighing in at just under 95 pounds) gets moved is if my band plays a MEGA-dive that has a tiny stage....
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I never understood why people buy combos thinking they are "compact". Every tube combo I've ever picked up was ridiculously heavy. I had a 6505+ for a while and when I went to get it, they had the 6505+ head in stock as well as the 6505 combo. I liked the way the combo sounded and was ready to buy it... then I tried to pick it up Needless to say, I chose the head.

I would rather make two trips to carry a head and cab separately than one carrying a combo... Unless of course I had 24/7 access to a Chiropracter.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I should probably add that I've already got a Marshall JTM30 which at 30W of valve I agree has a lot of headroom (and a lot of hum!). I also already have a pod xt live...so maybe I should just forget a new amp...it seems like all the well recommended ones are high output (wonder why ).

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
                            Truthfully, if you're going to be playing at home where volume is an issue, I wouldn't even bother with a tube amp. Even at 60 watts, 6505/6505+ combo is going to be pretty loud even on one.

You should look into the slew of modelers available. Boss, Line 6, and Vox all have great products that you can use to jam as well as record. Good luck!
                            +1. To add to this... a 10w tube amp is loud. I had a few Mesa Studio 22's which are 22 watts and they were loud enough to gig with.
                            For office jamming.. get a modeling amp and power it through a powered stereo system with a subwoofer like the kind you use on a home computer. Also.. get a nice set of headphones. You will be all set.

Comment

will the 6505 sound kinda close to the 5150?
                              EVh Wolfgang/frankenstein pup
                              1959Epiphone les paul
                              george L cables
                              mxr pedals
                              Engl fireball 100

Comment

Working...
                              X