good tube amp for under a grand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good tube amp for under a grand

so, anyone know a good tube amp i can get or under a grand? mainly i want a lot of gain and reliability. im also not opposed to buying used.

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

mesa
      CURRENT GEAR SET UP
      2005 JACKSON SOLOIST
      1989 JACKSON KING V
      1984 JACKSON RR
      AXE FX II
      MESA BOOGIE 2:90
      DMC GROUND CONTROL PRO
      FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER
      (2) MESA BOOGIE 4X12 RECTO CABINETS
      (2) MESA BOOGIE 2X12 RECTO CABINETS

Comment

Genz Benz El Diablo
        B-52 AT100
        Peavey Windsor
        Peavey Valveking
        Scott

Comment

The Windsor and Valveking are not high gain. I think the VKs are built like crap anyway. The most I could coax out a VK was Ratt/80s metal, which is really high gain. For high gain, your best bet, used, will be a 5150/6505, Genz Benz, Hughes & Kettner Switch Blade, Randall V2, or a Peavey JSX.

Comment

I just got a used b52 half stack for less then $500.00. Throw a sonic stomp in the loop and it really opens up. Sounds good at lower volumes as well.

Comment

Ah, I missed the "really high gain" part. Scratch the Windsor out then, although it does a very good early Judas Priest IMO.

You should be able to find a Mesa Single Rectifier for under $1000 used. I imagine it is the sound you're looking for. Speaking of which, what sound are you looking for? Name some bands.
              Last edited by Spivonious; 07-23-2008, 12:15 PM.
              Scott

Comment

Check craigslist in your area - always deals to be found there. Yesterday there was a Mesa Triple Rec head here for $850 in very good condition. I almost had to jump on it - but I have two amps already, and both are recent purchases. Besides that, I've always been perplexed with Rec's.

Comment

6505/5150 series...

I own a valveking and it has plenty fo gain in my opinion but that also depends on how you use it people also get moar gain mxied up with saturation too imo.

If you do try out a valveking make sure your plugged into input one and the boost is on with the gain knob placed around half depending on your pickups.

But I do believe a 5150 will suit the most...

Comment

alright, i do know im probably going to end up with a 5150 II based on price vs performance ratio, now its a matter of finding one locally, for a decent price, sence the last time i bought an amp on ebay it got a messed up in shipping

Comment

Carvin V3
                      $900 new
                      100watts/50watts switch
                      3 channels
                      2 smart loops
                      very nice clean channel
                      enough gain to rip your throat out
                      gets a great Marshall tone if set that way

I love mine.
                      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I would get a USED Budda Super, but it may not have enough gain for you. IMO, the best amp for value in that $500-$1000 range.

Comment

b-52 at series... solid, all kinds of tone, and well under a grand.
                          Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                          Amp... Pioneer
                          Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/msg/766384830.html
                            used JCM-900

Comment

Working...
                            X