Tube Replacement and Biasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Replacement and Biasing

Guys, if I currently have Groove Tubes EL-34R rated at 6 and correctly biased, if I put in new Groove Tubes of the same model and hardness, will they still need to be biased? Or do the same brand/hardness have a consistency that does not require biasing?
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

According to Groove Tubes, you shouldn't need to check / set the bias if you stick with the same model and hardness.

Comment

that is correct DonP ,a matched quartet (similiar rating )will not require re-biasing
      Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Thanks, guys. Does this go for all tube makers? Or only Groove?
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
          I know Mesa/Boogie states the same thing, so I would assume it goes for all.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post

Depends on the company. Groove Tubes are expensive, and that's because they spend the time and effort grading and matching valves. WingWong Valve Company, Peking, might not be quite so dilligent.

The WingWong valves might be roughly matched, but not to the degree GT do them - they probably won't be graded ("hardness"?).

So long as the valves are matched as a quartet (or pair), you won't do any harm, but it might not sound the same as your previous GTs. The amp might need to be slightly tweaked to run the WingWong set, say, slightly hotter or whatever, to get the same grind.

The thing with the GTs, you pay the cash to get exactly what you had before. (Don't know what other valve suppliers do detailed gradings, apart from PM Power Tubes)
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
            X