Small good amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small good amps

So now that college is over and i'm moving out to start my job in new jersey, I've sort of come to the conclusion that bringing the 5150 combo to my shared housing would be both too big and too loud. I was wondering what good, small amps are out there(possibly with a headphone jack). The kicker is since i'm only starting my job, have student loans and a variety of other bills, i'd like to keep this amps cost down. Any suggestions??

Also, if anyone knows some good guitar/amp dealers in the Central Jersey area(around Freehold) let me know!

I've always had good luck with my Fender "Squire 15" amp. You can find those dirt cheap but depending on the sound you want you might have to use it in conjunction with a distortion pedal and/or reverb.

Comment

Yeah i should clarify. I would like something pretty versatile but with a good kick of distortion. I play mostly metal stuff so that's more to my liking.

Comment

I'll be picking up a Mesa Subway Rocket this evening. Watch for the review, but it might be worth checking out. The Mesa F30 wold be a good one too, as would a Soldano Astroverb - if you want to stick to tube amps. The Line 6 SpiderValve 112 wouldn't be a bad choice either - or just go with a Flextone III if you don't mind trans-amps. I loved mine when I had it.

If you want to really stay on the budget low-end tube stuff, the Peavey Valve King can be had cheap.

Comment

I'd look at the modelers: Line 6 Spider, Vox Valvetronix.
          Scott

Comment

Roland Cube 30 is a decent bet for metal, I personally find it a little too fizzy with high gain but you should try one out, since a lot of people like them. The Vox valvetronix amps are also nice, I prefer them to the Cubes but the high gain sounds might not be to your tastes.

What about something like a Pod X3/Pocket Pod/GT8/GT-10 with a nice set of headphones?
            Why so serious?

Comment

Cheap and good sounding even at low levels... I´d skip tubes and go with a Tech 21 Trademark.

Comment

I'm sort of in a similar situation. I have a DSL100 at my house, but in the corporate apartment I use a POD with headphones. It sounds good enough to get by for practicing.

Comment

+1 on the Roland cube series.

Very good amps with the amp modeling/effects built in and a headphone jack.

I think one of the newer ones even has drum tracks on it.
                  Jackson KV2
                  Jackson KE1T
                  Jackson KE1F
                  Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
                    Cheap and good sounding even at low levels... I´d skip tubes and go with a Tech 21 Trademark.
                    Good suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Invader21 View Post
                      Also, if anyone knows some good guitar/amp dealers in the Central Jersey area(around Freehold) let me know!
                      Musician's Workshop on Route 9. It used to be in Marlboro many years ago, but now I think it's down the road in Manalapan.
                      I believe there's also Freehold Music on Route 9.
                      Someone else told me there's a place called Raritan Bay Guitar Repair that's also on Route 9 close to the Freehold Raceway Mall.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My kid beats the shit out of his 30 wt Spider II I bought him a while ago. It still works..that alone says alot!

I play with it too when I go upstairs..it covers any style. CHEAP!
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Most of the small modeling amps sound fine for playing metal stuff at low volumes. I was playing the VOX AD15VT-XL at GC the other day and it sounded really good for metal leads especially.

Comment

I'm still happy with my Micro Cube - and at $125 shipped, the price is hard to beat!
                            Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Crate GTD15R. Nuff said.
                              As far as I'm concerned he can stay with Dean and play his dots+fins KV copies, and whatever that aborted fetus he "designed". More like "I saw it in my puke". -Newc

Tung Oil is for guitar necks. Tongue Oil is a by-product of cunninglus. -Metalchurch79

Comment

Working...
                              X