Tubes...Slight blue glow good or bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes...Slight blue glow good or bad?

Guys, I just had a tube head biased by a local tech. I noticed when you first power it on all the EL-34's glow orange, when you engage the standby, there is a small amount of blue glow from them. Is this normal? Tech says it's small amounts of air that got into the tube, not completely vacuum or something. The amp seems to play all right, and the tone is great, but that tiny blue glow, good or bad?
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Is the blue glow saying "Use the force, Luke"?

Comment

Absolutely normal

Comment

I usually get a blue glow in my tubes when I palm mute stuff.

It's been happening for like a year and it still sounds fine.

Why does that happen?

Comment

When I play my Mesa F100 in the 60 watt mode, the middle two tubes get the "blue haze", and when I kick it on to 100 watts, all four glow. It's kinda cool-looking... The amp sounds god-like, so I'm thinking the blue glow is not a problem (this coming from a Line 6 guy - be careful!!).

Gotta say, thanks to my SpiderValve, I've been pushed back into the tube world... There is something to be said for those little light bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
            Why does that happen?
            Because that's how tubes work.

Tubes control electricity, turning it on an off (hence the UK term "valves"). The electicity comes from the heated (red) "cathode", and hits the "plate". What you are seeing (the blue glow) is the electricity "flying" through a vacuum just like lightning from the cathode to the plate. The "grid" is the spicket that turns the flow on and off. in simplistic terms, your guitar is hooked up to the grid, controlling the flow.

While the cathode is is meant to be hot (from the heater element), plates should not be red. If they are, the amp is biased too hot and will fry the tubes.

Comment

Normally a blue glow means some air got in there and is being excited by the electrons. This is how neon lights work (of course they're not all neon, since different gases emit different colors when "excited").

Completely normal of course, and nothing to get worried about. If the tubes start shooting lightning out at the glass of the tube (arcing), then it's time to get them replaced.
              Scott

Comment

Nicely put, Don. You too Spiv, but please tell me, what the fuck is a "spicket"???????
                So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

a spigot is a ball valve ,that can throttle (restrict and allow)flow ,a spicket ?
                  Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                    Nicely put, Don. You too Spiv, but please tell me, what the fuck is a "spicket"???????
                    Damn brits, my bad

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/spicket.html

Comment

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the answers, glad to know it's ok...
                      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                      Gotta get away from here.
                      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                      X