Rivera amps, tell me the good/bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivera amps, tell me the good/bad

I heard somebody playing on the Venus 6 i think and it was great sounding, i just loved the tone and power. yall tell me the good and bad about their amps.

sound = good
    price = bad
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

thanks. i finally found a place here in the houston area that sells them, and what a price tag. the 2X12 venus 6 is 2500. i may beable to get one through my uncle at whole sale but not sure

Comment

I own 2 Riveras: an M-60 1x12 and Suprema 55 1x12 with a matching extension cab. If you want pros and cons, I can give you my thoughts.

Pros: sound, versatility, construction, features (like variable send and return levels on the effects loop), reliability.

Cons: pricey (but compared to some other builders, I'd argue that point), some models have a ton of push/pull pots and modes that can confuse some people, depending on where you live it can be tough to find amps to try.

For what it's worth, I've not been able to try a Venus but I have some friends who are Rivera dealers and they love that amp. In fact, one of them recorded the demo film of the Venus 6.

If you've got more questions, let me know.
        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

cool, i am only in an apartment, and 35 watts may be just a bit much, but i dont care. what other amps do yall suggest preferablly 2 channel, in that power range?

Comment

I had a chance last year to snag a Rivera "Bonehead" head at the local
            GC... was in excelllent shape...sounded killer! $1150.00 used! Yeah, im
            kickin myself.. i think it was probably $2200.00 new. Had a great tone,
            and pretty versatile looking...2 channel i think. Great clean!

Comment

I've personally never played a Rivera amp but I've been looking for a new head for awhile and have looked into the Rivera KR7 Mick Thomson head. After watching http://youtube.com/watch?v=8tRfoacpWaQ this video I REALLY want to try one. Makes it look awesome and super versatile. Anyone played one?

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
                cool, i am only in an apartment, and 35 watts may be just a bit much, but i dont care. what other amps do yall suggest preferablly 2 channel, in that power range?
                If you think you want a slightly lower-powered Rivera, there is the Pubster 25. That amp is channel switching and uses 6V6GT power tubes and a 10" speaker. From what I've been told by my friend, it still can get quite loud but it's probably a Rivera amp more aimed at the lower volume levels you may be seeking. Paul Sr. designed the Fender Super Champ in the early '80's and this is his update on that design. Try this link: Pubster 25
                Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

cool thanks ill look at one if i can

Comment

my fiance works with this guys wife, and im going to check out his stuff too, all custom.
                    http://chappellamps.com/amplifiers/october/october.html

Comment

I say this all the time, but tube amps + apartments = angry neighbors. Even a 5-watt tube amp gets very loud.
                      Scott

Comment

i currently have a 15w crate and it gets really really loud. but i cant stand the sound of it. its solid state, and besides that my neighbors are pretty cool. i personally just prefer the sound of a tube amp over the solid state.

Comment

Well, I have two Riveras and haven´t played anything else since 2002. One is a early-run TBR1 from 1987 and the other is a Knucklehead K55 from sometime in the mid 90´s(old two-channel style without reverb).

What they have in common is the stellar clean channel that goes from sparkly to spanky to fat and gritty, the build quality and the enormous loudness. The lead channel of the TBR1 is more in the plexi vein (just begging for a Tubescreamer!), whereas the K55 sounds a bit like how I imagine a 2203 would have sounded if it had been designed after amps like the MkIV and the SLO came out. The tone controls on both amps are very sensitive and broad in range, so there´s a wide range of good tones to be had from both... they can stray pretty far from their basic voicing... but of course, this also makes for a ton of bad tones if you don´t spend some time fiddling with the knobs.

The TBR1 has absolutely unbelievable features considering it´s from 1987... there couldn´t have been anything out there at the time with so many usable bells and whistles... and the K55 was on the other hand designed to be simpler to handle.

I wouldn´t recommend any Rivera for apartment playing, and probably not any tube amp over max 5 watts.

Comment

After reading this thread I spend some time on thier website and looking for clips on YouTube...I must say I am really impresssed with the versatility of their amps and what seems to be great build qualtiy and customer support...Now the Fandango is at the top of my list for a "must try"

Comment

The Fandango is a great amp, if I didn´t own the K55 I´d be looking hard at one of those.

Comment

Working...
                              X