X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valvestate opinions.

I'm thinking of snagging this lil' puppy;

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/6395862

I'm not too familiar with these as I was a total "tube" snob when these came out. I did some searching, googling and checked out a couple of youtube vids.

I'd just like JCF's thoughts on this.
    Thanks.
    G.

All I know is that there are the old valvestates (good) and the new valvestates (bad). There are others here that know the model numbers and can probably help you out more.
    Scott

Comment

ALl I know is when we toured with Paul DiAnno there were two guitarists in his band, one really good, and one really mediocre. The good guitarist took the JCM900, the bad guitarist the Valvestate. Next gig, they swapped. Stayed that way for the tour. So obviously, they can't sound too bad.

Too bad the JCM900 was mine *d'oh*
      - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

Fair - kinda buzzy.

Comment

The only one I've ever had was a VS100 head. From what I understand the circuit is almost identical to the 8100 head, which is the older model that Chuck Schuldiner used. It certainly wasn't buzzy, nor was it a bad sounding amp, although a little boring maybe. It could have used a little more gain IMO. They won't do high gain metal without a pedal in front, and an EQ in the loop does a world of good. They are however nice and crunchy, and really do a good hard rock or blues sound.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Here's a pretty accurate clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVKTw...eature=related

I guess the gain isn't too bad, but he must have it dimed for this clip. It could be better. It's always nice to have a little more than you need.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I borrowed a buds 8280 for some rehearsals....I didn't think it was a bad amp at all. Somewhat limited, but kinda cool with the chorus had a good Marshally tone of a JCM nature. There may be some reliability issues with these if I recall but on the whole I thought they were good sounding amps...especially considering when they're probably even more affordable now.

Comment

The original Valvestate series rocks! I still have my 8240 2x12 stereo chorus model, bought it brand new around '92 when it came out, and it's still going strong! The gain is nice, but could be just a bit more. Though, with a DiMarzio X2N or something similar, you get all the gain you need. It sounds like a typical Marshall tube amp except it's only got one 12AX7 preamp tube.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

As long as you use decent speakers and never AB it with a real Marshall (my old bandmate had one that he could make sound great, but whenever he played with someone with a JCMxxx, he got all sad and mopey!), I would say you could call it a workable backup or practice amp.

Comment

the other guitarist in my old band had an old valvestate 100 watt half stack, i dont know the model. i thought it sounded like shit. it always either sounded thin & fizzy or like mud. you could never get a nice full chunky tone. I dont know if it was lemon or not but my 100 watt randall used to bury it.

Comment

Hehe I bought an 8280 for $10 bucks a few weeks ago. There's a thread on it somewhere. I need to do a little work to it because the pots are shot & kick in and out, but when I get it "Going" it sounds pretty sweet.

It is a heavy SOB though!

Vass

Comment

I liked the vs100 combo that I owned a few years ago. Unfortunately it had some issues with the reverb that three techs couldnt figure out, so I ended up selling it for $150.

A friend of mine currently owns one, and every time I play it I miss my old vs100r a little. A VOX valvetronix with real celestions would blow it away though, IMO.

-Steve
                        Guitars:
                        '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                        '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                        '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                        Amp:
                        VOX AD30VT

Comment

I had that same model (8280) around 1994. I thought it sounded great. Marshall distortion, stereo, chorus, relatively portable. I loved just plugging straight in and playing. Then, it started to lose volume (I don't know why), so I stopped using it. If I knew anyone to take it to for repairs, I would've kept using it.

Comment

Had the VS-260R I think it was called? 2x12 60 watt combo with chorus. Was a decent sounding amp when playing chords/rythmn guitar. Nice and chunky, plenty of gain/distortion/sustain, but when playing single notes/lead it lost something IMO. Sounded thin and sterile. Very solid state sounding. I sold it.

Comment

I have one of the newer valvestates, the AVT50X, and I like the sounds I get out of it, though I have to say I haven't really tried many amps so I don't have much to compare it to (that's why I don't really want to try any other amps unless I'm going to buy one - I want to continue liking my AVT!). If the older valvestate models are better amps like some poeple here have said then I imagine the 8280 should sound pretty good.
                              I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Working...
                              X