New Guitar Day. PC1 goodness inside!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guitar Day. PC1 goodness inside!

Well after debating and debating about a PC-1 color, I saw this bad boy on the 'bay and pulled the trigger. Needless to say I am not disappointed.

Without further ado:

Koa body, beautiful maple top, plays like a dream.

Now to compare it to my Redrum Strathead....

I'm actually surprised at how different the two guitars are to me.

My RR was heavier and the neck felt much larger than this one.

Feel wise, it actually had more in common with my PC3 that the RR. But it is worlds away from the PC3.

The tone is also different than my RR. I guess this is due to the Koa body and the changes the wood brings to the tone. Very tight and snappy cleans and the distortion is smooth and creamy. Exactly what I wanted.

And the top well there isn't much more I can say about that. This thing is a beauty. I now see why there is such a yearning for these older tops and the finishes on them. My RR's quilt was difficult to see. This one just jumps out at you.

The sustainer works exactly like the new ones. I guess if it ain't broke, you don't fix it.

Oh and i don't miss the tone knob either. I always left my RR tone all the way up anyway.

Now I don't want anyone to think I am running around bashing new PC1s. I love the guitars above all. When people say they are one of the best American Jacksons being built I totally agree. And I feel they are a cut above anything else in their price range or beyond. I'm just saying that I have a newfound appreciation for the history of the PC1 having played this older model. And for the price there was no way I could pass it up. I just gave my honest observations on how the two guitars compared to me.

It's sort of like comparing a Viper and a Corvette. Either way you go you win and you look good getting there.

Now for one of those titanium blocks and saddle kits.....

P.S. Here's a pic of my RR and my PC3.

That's a very nice American Strat, and yes, that is a huge difference in the top of the Red Rum compared to the PC3 though they are both very nice non-the-less. Is that hardware on the PC3 brushed chrome or is that just the camera because it is very slick looking. After seeing that PC1 I want one now. But alas, It would take like 6 months for me to get the cash for one.

Very nice guitars!
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

AHHH... so it was you that got the Koa!

Congrats!

Ben... the PC3 came with a brushed finish on the hardware (a.k.a. Satin Chrome).
      -Rick

Comment

Stunning!!!

Comment

This particular one has a very cool top, nice score!
          "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Nice grab, congrats. A great example of how the earlier PC1s looked so much better than what we typically see done now.

My hope is that we get a reasonable price quote on the limited run idea, so we can get PC1s just like these early ones. i.e., Higher AAAA-plus grade quilt & flame figuring + original (better) aniline dye vintage chlorine and solar finishes + koa body + no tone knob = mucho PC1 goodness.

Comment

Old school PC1! Kick ass!!!
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                Ben... the PC3 came with a brushed finish on the hardware (a.k.a. Satin Chrome).
                Ok, thanks. That's what I thought it was. I've seen other guitars, albeit incredibly cheap ones at the place where I take guitar lessons with satin chrome but unlike those, it looks killer on that PC3.
                "Dear Dr. Bill,
                I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                  AHHH... so it was you that got the Koa!

Congrats!

Yep. That was me. I was surprised that no one else bid on it though. Maybe the guy not taking paypal had something to do with it. Luckily I had the scratch off to the side to buy this one.

Oh well Everybody else's loss!!!

And thank you all for the compliments. It is quite a stunning guitar in person. The gold hardware is slightly faded but I can most certainly live with it.

Oh and that's my 1988 American Standard Strat in Gun Metal Blue with EMG DG-20 pickups in it. Guitars may come and go from my flock, but that one stays. It's my benchmark by which I judge all other guitars.

Comment

You know me... I've been on the hunt for a Koa PC-1 for ages... guess I'll keep on lookin'.

The lack of PayPal is what killed it for me. I've had that special stash of $$$ set aside just for one of these, but I want the deal to have as little risk as possible.
                    Too much bread for me to put out with no form of protection.

Glad you got it though. That way IF you decide to let it go, you will know who to call first.
                    -Rick

Comment

Awesome!

Those things look so classy.

Comment

Just beautiful..nice grab!

Comment

Very nice. I would guess the Koa is a tad lighter than the Mahogany. Congrats!
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Wow, Phils going to start coming over to your house!
                            Wish the newer Pc-1's had that old school quilted
                            fretboards... Great collection!

Comment

Working...
                            X