87 Soloist w/ no serial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 Soloist w/ no serial?

Hi, folks. New guy here, although I've been lurking a very long time. I just recently got a beautiful 87 Soloist. Best guitar I've ever played.

Anyway, I can't seem to find the ser # on it. Isn't it supposed to be stamped on the end of the neck (near the neck pup)? Mine doesn't have one.

Thanks!

Try looking at the little strip of wood just after the 22nd or 24th fret. It should be stamped there. Or that's at least where my friend's Soloist had his serial number at.

Comment

That's where I thought it should be, too, but nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DevRock View Post
        That's where I thought it should be, too, but nothing.
        Occassionally they screw up and either mis-stamp the number or forget it all together. I ordered a KV2 in Silver with Black Dragon when they were released about 5 years ago. When it arrived to the music store they let me unpack it from the box. It had a couple other issues so it had to be sent back but that KV2 did not have a serial number stamped into the end of the fretboard although it had one on the hang tag. Its rare, but it does happen! Also, I was under the impression that some employee built personal guitars back in the 80's didn't have serial numbers but I've only heard that and never seen one in person. Perhaps yours is such a guitar? Is it an unusual finish or configuration? Do you know any more history on it? And oh yeah, post some pix of it
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Yeah, some artist guitars and most(?) employee projects (which were allowed until FMIC took over) were unserialised.

And of course, some people sand the serials off if the guitar is stolen. And I guess if major work has been done to the board, the serial could disappear.
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
            And I guess if major work has been done to the board, the serial could disappear.
            Yeah, I think most types of refrets involve sanding down the fretboard which would remove the serial number. This happened to my friends BC Rich. I always thought serial numbers should be in multiple spots on guitars like VIN numbers.
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
              Yeah, some artist guitars and most(?) employee projects (which were allowed until FMIC took over) were unserialised.

And of course, some people sand the serials off if the guitar is stolen. And I guess if major work has been done to the board, the serial could disappear.
              Well I'm hoping mine isn't hot! As far as I know, there hasn't been any work on it. I actually need some fret work done, as there are a couple of dead spots, so I have to raise the action slightly. Still, the action is silly low. I'm just not really up for paying upwards of $200 for fret work right now, but we'll see. I also need to replace the pups, but I can do that myself. I won't touch frets.

Hopefully I can take some pics soon.

Comment

So how do you know it's an '87 without the serial?
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                  So how do you know it's an '87 without the serial?
                  A couple of people who've seen it indicated that's what year it's from. But, you have a good point!

Comment

Working...
                  X