Best RR1 Strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best RR1 Strings?

I recently bought a 2006 RR1. Great guitar.
    I am currently using DR 9's (Brass) strings.
    I play Metal primarily. Is there anyone who has any recomendations for a set of strings that might help the guitar sound a bit brighter.
    I am new to the thread.
    This is my first Jackson guitar I have ever owned.

Welcome

I've never used brass strings before.

I use GHS Boomers (Carvin).

If your guitar isn't bright enough, I doubt strings will change it much. Do you have the original pickups? What amp? You've checked to make sure the tone knob isn't turned all the way down right? (just kiding )

Comment

Welcome indeed.
      This is a good site and you have done well by coming here, grasshopper.
      String that can make your guitar sound brighter?
      Hmmn, strings only sound brighter in the beginning then after awhile the more you play they brightness eventually goes away.
      As already mentioned, there are other possibilities to make your guitar sound brighter. Pickup changes, Amp settings, pedal/rack gear settings and etc.
      From what I've learned about the RR1's as "stock" they are somewhat bright themselves already. Their stock pickups are pretty good.
      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Thanks also My Bio

I have a Line 6 2x12 Spider Valve.
        I bought the RR1 (Ligtning Sky) on ebay, It is in mint condition, all original, the person I bought it from had all the original documents, and the hand written checkout tag from the custom shop. I bought it for $1525, on ebay. I had a 10% coupon thru paypal so I actually payed around $1400.00. I had to sell my 20th Aniv Yellow RG550 to come up with the money. But I was able to sell my Ibanez for what I originally payed for it. I also have an Epiphone Ace Frehley I found brand new while on vacation in Florida. That guitar has Dimarzio pickups, sounds awesome. Also have a Reverand Volcano and a 2006 Mexican Strat with Dimarzio HS3 pickups.
        I am taking lessons from Kevin M Buck.(check him out on my space).(founder of the Blizzard of Ozz tribute band)
        I am a 42 year old Metal head. Drummer by trade, guitar shredder by dream, hopefully some day.
        I just bought some GHS Bommers. I will try them out on the RR1. It seems to me the RR1 pickups have a deeper thicker fuller tone than my previous Ibanez RG & my current Epi with the Dimarzio's.
        Thanks for the feed back.
        Steve The Old Metal Head

Comment

Try a set of the DR coated strings. You'll either love them or hate them. I'm on the love side of the fence.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I'll second DR's, but use the DR Hi Beams. They will brighten you up, brightest strings, by alot, that I've ever played. For those using the Tite Fits, give these a shot. They'll add a level of articulation to your set up. Trust me You won't regret it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ngs?sku=101142

Vass

Comment

Originally posted by Smichener View Post
              I bought the RR1 (Ligtning Sky) on ebay, It is in mint condition, all original, the person I bought it from had all the original documents, and the hand written checkout tag from the custom shop. I bought it for $1525, on ebay. I had a 10% coupon thru paypal so I actually payed around $1400.00. I had to sell my 20th Aniv Yellow RG550 to come up with the money. But I was able to sell my Ibanez for what I originally payed for it. I also have an Epiphone Ace Frehley I found brand new while on vacation in Florida. That guitar has Dimarzio pickups, sounds awesome. Also have a Reverand Volcano and a 2006 Mexican Strat with Dimarzio HS3 pickups.
              I am taking lessons from Kevin M Buck.(check him out on my space).(founder of the Blizzard of Ozz tribute band)
              I am a 42 year old Metal head. Drummer by trade, guitar shredder by dream, hopefully some day.
              I just bought some GHS Bommers. I will try them out on the RR1. It seems to me the RR1 pickups have a deeper thicker fuller tone than my previous Ibanez RG & my current Epi with the Dimarzio's.
              Steve The Old Metal Head
              oh was that Joel's RR1T? That's a nice guitar. Good score.

Comment

RR's had several different pickups over the years, so it would help if you told us what pickups are in it. It might have even been modified.

I have a 1992 with the J90C and the JE1200 mid boost. Sounds like Stryper.

I also have a 1995 Lightning RR1 with Bill Lawrence USA pickups. Very bright and powerful, like Pantera.

Newer RR1's come with a JB and a 59 I think. Same as my SL2H. That's a fairly bright combo too.

Comment

I use Blue Steels. They seem plenty bright. A set of 8's might also make it brighter. Really anything in stainless steel should be about as bright as it gets.

Comment

Ernie Balls here. I moved up to 10-52's a month or so ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Smichener View Post
                      Steve The Old Metal Head
                      Welcome to the board Steve. I have several RR's with various pickups in them. I usually use GHS Boomers or SIT's. I also have an older Line 6 Spider amp just for noodling on around the house. I have found that the Line 6 amp doesn't really portray my guitars' character accurately. IOW, what sounds so so through the Line 6 sounds MUCH better through any of my larger half stacks (Randall, Mesa, Bogner). I have one guitar with a Dimarzio Tone Zone which sounds too muddy and bassy through the Line 6. Bad enough that I almost gave up on that pickup at one point but then I tried it through the other amps at my band's practice and it has now become one of my favorite pickups! The point I'm making is don't make major changes to the guitar if all you test through is the Line 6. Try it through other amps the way it is and you might be surprised to hear it sound quite different!
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsjb View Post
                        Ernie Balls here. I moved up to 10-52's a month or so ago.
                        I second that. Ever since I first used Ernie Balls I haven't played any other strings. I tend to use 10-46's, but the 9-42's should be even brighter.
                        I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

If Strings don't help, try looking at the pots. For a brighter sound, use 500k, and for a smoother sound, use 250k.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
                            I'll second DR's, but use the DR Hi Beams. They will brighten you up, brightest strings, by alot, that I've ever played. For those using the Tite Fits, give these a shot. They'll add a level of articulation to your set up. Trust me You won't regret it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ngs?sku=101142

Vass
                            Those Hi Beams are the only DRs I've tried, and they're very cool! I use the 11-50 set on my Dinky tuned to D. They also last an extremely long time without corroding.

As for my RR1T, I actually use GHS Low-Tune Boomers 11-53 tuned to D.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Try using some different picks. I find v-picks having a much brighter sound than the dunlop ones.

http://v-picks.com/

rr.tk reviews: http://www.nobitching.com/phpbb3/vie...hp?f=19&t=9721
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X