Loud hum my effects chain. Help??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud hum my effects chain. Help??

Hi. I'm getting an awful hum through my amp (like when you stand next to a TV with your guitar) when I'm using my live set up. Rig is as follows.

guitar---planet waves tuner
    tuner---boss ls2 input
    ls2 send A---ibanez tubescreamer---isp decimator---5150 high gain input
    ls2 send B---Roland cube 60

So, using the ls2 to switch between the roland for cleans, and the 5150 for distortion.

Now, as soon as you connect the roland to the ls2, the 5150 starts to hum. Even if the roland isn't turned on. After loads of pluging and unpluging I've figured that unplugging the roland from the wall clears this up.

Also I've used this method, substituting the V-amp with the roalnd. Same problem though. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...highlight=5150

My pedals are all running on 9V batteries. I'm guessing this is some kind of grounding issue but I'm a complete newb to pedal chains, ground issues etc.

Would daisy chaining all my pedals off of a Boss pedal board cure this? If not does anyone have an idea of what I can do as this set up works well for me.

Thanks in advance!!

It sound like one of the plugs on the Roland lost it's ground. Wiggle the cables to see if the hum goes away.

Comment

I've never used the Boss LS2 but at one time I used a Morley AB box to switch between my electric amp and my California Blonde acoustic amp. That thing was noisy! I ended up ditching the Morley box and bought a Radial Engineering Switchbone and noise went away! It has a ground lift as well as polarity switch which helps depending on the situation. Anyway, first check the obvious things like plugs, cables, etc... as Matt suggested above. If those are all O.K. I would eliminate the LS2 and try something like the Switchbone instead.
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Is the decimator in the loop, i have an NS-2 and it definately works better for high gain in the loop, I do believe that most of the decimator users tend to get better results using it in the lop as opposed to out front...

Just try that...

doesent hurt and is cheaper than getting a new a/b box or powersupply...

Though check out the diago power supply system it's similar to a laptop supply and can run up to 30 pedals it's also really quiet...

I know lots of people have complained about noise from dc supplies like the dc brick.

but try running the isp in the loop first use out to the return, and in to the send on the amp...

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Rolands grounds are intact. As just out of curiosity I plugged the second line from the LS2 into another practice amp I use. Same thing. Loud hum from the 5150 until said amp is unplugged from the wall or disconnected from the LS2.

All my effects are run up front including the decimator. I only added that to quieten down the extra noise and tendancy to feed back after the tubescreamer. But I'll give the decimator a shot in the effects loop. I'm actually quite pleased with the results of it up front.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Comment

Working...
          X