New SL1 on the way,,,,what to expect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SL1 on the way,,,,what to expect

For years, I have played a 1998 USA Jackson DK1 with 22 frets. While I love the neck, I was always wishing it had 24 frets and that I could get my hand up a bit further without hitting the heel(I have pretty small hands) SO , finally, I have the funds to get a new Jackson. I ordered a brand new SL1 because I have never played a soloist,,,ever,,,,and felt I needed to play one before just moving on to the newer 24 dk1's....which I almost did and still might do if this soloist doesn't do it for me. I also really have grown to love the look and options of a H-S-S combination, which my DK1 has, but the newer ones don't. I'm expecting to love it, and I'll post my findings later this week.
    Last edited by lynchfan6; 07-06-2008, 12:41 PM.

I bet you end up loving it. The heel on the soloist, of course, is much different than the bolted heel of the DK-1. You may find that access up in the 20's is easier due to that.

There are those who will be by shortly to give their own opinion on that. It's really just a matter of personal preference.

I will predict that you love it. If not, I'll take it off your hands for just a small markdown

Vass

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
      I bet you end up loving it. The heel on the soloist, of course, is much different than the bolted heel of the DK-1. You may find that access up in the 20's is easier due to that.

There are those who will be by shortly to give their own opinion on that. It's really just a matter of personal preference.

I will predict that you love it. If not, I'll take it off your hands for just a small markdown

Vass

I agree... you will love it

Comment

I know this has probably been answered many times....but as I await my SL1...is the soloist body size the same as the dinky? They sure appear to be. Also, any thoughts on the going price for a 1998 DK1 (22 frets) (black) in awesome, babied condition? If this SL1 is "it" for me, I'll be selling off my DK1....

Comment

Never mind the body size question...I found it with a search. So,,same size between the DK1 and soloist. Great news.

Comment

If you ordered a SL1 prepare to be very happy with the best playing guitar in the world.

If you ordered a custom shop Soloist prepare to get something that you totally did not order and with options you never wanted on your guitar.

Comment

Be prepared for increased sustain compared to that bolt-on DK1

Comment

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
                Also, any thoughts on the going price for a 1998 DK1 (22 frets) (black) in awesome, babied condition? If this SL1 is "it" for me, I'll be selling off my DK1....
                Check ebay completed auctions.

If you've been happy with the DK1 for 10 years, I think it might be a mistake selling it.

I'm not 100% sure, but the SL1 neck may be a little "fatter" than the DK1. I only mention it because you mentioned the small hands. It's not an issue for me and I love small necks as well (and I have a DK1 and an SL2H to compare against).

Comment

I actually bought my DK1 from a guy who got it as new old stock but never played it. I think I bought it in 2003. My hands aren't that small (I'm 5'8), but I just really want unlimited access to all frets. My other favorite guitar right now is my Jem7vwh. And , I have to sell the DK1 as I ordered my SL1 in black, too....with the intentions moving on to a 24 fret model. Comparing neck sizes, it looks like the soloists are only on average about .04 inches different at the 3rd and 12th frets.....that seems like a subtle difference. The SL1 should be here this week, so we'll see. Otherwise, I will be moving on to a 24 fret DK1 for sure.

Comment

Wise choice, they are great guitars!!
                    CURRENT GEAR SET UP
                    2005 JACKSON SOLOIST
                    1989 JACKSON KING V
                    1984 JACKSON RR
                    AXE FX II
                    MESA BOOGIE 2:90
                    DMC GROUND CONTROL PRO
                    FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER
                    (2) MESA BOOGIE 4X12 RECTO CABINETS
                    (2) MESA BOOGIE 2X12 RECTO CABINETS

Comment

Well, it arrived. Gee, I'm not sure. The neck really is quite thicker, almost reminds me of my Les Paul more than my DK1. It really feels like a whole different beast completely compared to my DK1. I wonder if they still make the dinky the same as in 1998.....same really tiny neck. I may have to return this soloist and give a 24 fret DK a shot. I'm just so used to the dinky neck. I love the soloist neck up high past the 12th fret and all of the access,,,,but down by the nut...just not the same...not even close.

Comment

My DK1 is a 2006 or 2007 model, and I love the neck on it. The neck is real thin. I played an sl3 a few weeks ago for the first time and really liked the upper fret access. (more so than my dk1) But I still prefer the slick feel and thinness of the unfinished DK1 neck.

I too am a 5'9" tall person with not so large hands. I find the DK1 neck easy to use, I can wrap my hand around it with no problem. (I'm sure that's going to bring out a few comments... )
                        "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Well, this makes it easy.......upon close inspection, there is shiny , dried glue sticking out from under some of the frets,,,and the high E string is nearly off the fretboard. The reason: The saddle for the high E string is physically a gap away from the rest of the saddles....this is a faulty Floyd Rose. There is no way to get it to go next to the other saddles as it should be,,,it's just made wrong. So my high E string is spaced farther from the other strings than it should be, and is nearly off the board. THis SL1 is heading back tomorrow....no way I'm even considering it now.

Comment

I like thin guitars (I have Fusions that are thinner than a DK1), but I've gotten very used to my SL2H.

Comment

too bad, but if you get your money back, you're at least back to square one, and that you know how the soloists play now (besides the floyd/string issue that one had).

If you like the dk1 profile, get one....you know roughly what you will get.

I just wish I could get a USA guitar again.

Comment

Working...
                              X