Retube Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retube Questions

I want to get new tubes for my Mesa Dual Rec. Is there anything I should know before changing them out? I was going to venture into possibly getting EL 34's but I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble. Should I change the power and preamp tubes all at the same time? Should I get Mesa tubes or are there better tubes that will make my amp sound better? What is the difference between the STR 430 and the 5U4GB tubes? I noticed that Mesa has the STR 440 and not the STR 430.

When it comes to amps, I just know what sounds good to me and that's about it. Advice is appreciated.
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Mike,

First Statement: I'm not an amp tech, but I'll give you my experience over the last 25 years. Don't know much about Mesas, but I've played tube amps for a long time.

First question: why do you want to change the tubes? (not trying to be a jerk, just wondering)?

How old are the current tubes? Power tubes are typically replaced every 1-3 years depending on use, although a good tech would tell you to leave 'em alone as long as the amp will bias OK, comes fairly close to the amps rated output and it sounds good.

Preamp tubes last at least twice as long, if they're decent tubes. Again, a good tech would check them for microphonics and put the quietest tube into the first preamp tube socket. If the noisiest is in the first socket...you just keep amplifiying that noise through the other gain stages.

Well, that's how it works with Marshalls and Engls that I've owned, but I would guess it's the same for any tube amp with multiple gain stages.

Read up on the different power tube choices for the amp, because different types that will work in a particular amp, i.e. EL34s versus 6550s will have a big impact on the tonal quality.

I'm sure other members have more experience, but there's my take on it.

Good Luck. Tubes Rule!!!

Comment

The tubes are original approx 6-7 years old. No problems with them. I'm just playing out more and don't want to get caught short. I just thought I would replace them and not worry about it.
      "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
      I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

All things Mesa; http://forum.grailtone.com/index.php...78e285cc0b4e52

Very helpful when considering retubing my Mesa
        Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop Custom Classic
        Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton sig
        Fender Telecaster Standard MM
        Jackson Dinky DKMGT
        Jackson Stealth EX
        Charvel 375
        Ibanez Daytripper
        OLP Musicman
        Carvin C250

Mesa 5:50 Express
        Sonic 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStrat View Post
          The tubes are original approx 6-7 years old. No problems with them. I'm just playing out more and don't want to get caught short. I just thought I would replace them and not worry about it.
          It might be a good idea to have a tech check it over. If you don't know who to go to, I would check with some of your friends that also gig. I'd get a recommendation rather than just opening the phone book.

You're smart to be proactive about it, rather than waiting until something goes wrong when you need it to be working (on stage in front of a crowd).

You probably already have this, but the "bias" article on p. 23 explains a lot.
          http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/2chRecto.pdf

Best of luck.
          Mike

Comment

Working...
          X