Looking For A New Distortion Pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For A New Distortion Pedal

I'm not too happy with my Boss Metal Zone anymore, I'm looking to get something better.. All of you know what I play, but in case you don't I play everything from Zeppelin to Van Halen to Dokken, Ratt, Dio, Metallica, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Steve Vai etc etc.... If I play stuff like Zeppelin, SRV, Motorhead, etc I don't use a pedal for that, my amp is perfect for that stuff. I use a Vox Valvetronix 100 watt half stack and the only pedals I use with it are my distortion epdal, Duncan Pickup Booster(I use that as a boost for solo's) and a Dunlop Crybaby...

here are the pedals I'm checking out:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=151131

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=153339

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=154236

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=154239

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=154224

So what do you guys think?? I've heard good things about the MXR Dime and the Metal Muff, but I haven't heard much about the other ones. I was also recommended the Boss HM-2, but I'm really leaning towards the MXR Dime and Metal Muff

All five of those links take me to the MF main page.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

try the Line6 Uber metal. it can do all types of metal. from megadeth to shadows fall. its even got a noise gate with two different settings one of which varies with the gain level selected. awesomely cool!
      Sam

Comment

Yep, the Uber Metal is very versatile and it sounds pretty good.

Comment

UBER METAL here too.

Comment

Out of all the high gain pedals on the market that ever were, my favorite was the Zoom TM-01 Tri-Metal, if You can get one used then do, but sadly they don't make them anymore. Failing that, I do agree with everyone else here on the Line 6.
            - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

on a off topic, the line6 Uber is a tonecore series pedal in which if you want to try some other pedal in its place, you can just remove the uber module and plug in another module, like a compressor for example. Now you now have a compressor pedal instead of a distortion. its like those preamp modules in the Randall amps. I have to admit, line6 makes some cool shit!
              Sam

Comment

I believe that to do this swap he has to buy an emtpy stompbox and an uber metal module, not an uber metal pedal, correct?

Comment

I'll check it out, but to be honest I'm not super fond of Line6 stuff.

also does anyone here know much about the Visual Sound V2 V2JH Jekyl and Hyde pedal??? it says that it has distortion and over drive.. can I put that in front of my clean channel and use it to get a heavy sound, then use the OD to boost for solos??

Comment

I find it hard to believe that you can't find something in that Vox amp that gets you into that territory and needs a pedal's help. Surprising...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordor View Post
                      I believe that to do this swap he has to buy an emtpy stompbox and an uber metal module, not an uber metal pedal, correct?
                      Nope, he can just buy a Uber metal pedal, play around with it, and if he doesnt like it, take out the uber metal module, and put something else in there. So, the Uber metal's base becomes the base for the other module he puts in. there are two allen screws and a push swith which unlocks the uber module.
                      Sam

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                        I find it hard to believe that you can't find something in that Vox amp that gets you into that territory and needs a pedal's help. Surprising...

I tried all the different modes on it and for stuff like RATT, Dokken, Metallica, Shadows Fall etc it doesn't have the right natural distortion. but for Motorhead, old school Def Leppard, Zeppelin, and stuff like that its perfect. I can mess around with some of the stuff on it with my Metal Zone set as like an OD pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by wreckingcrew View Post
                          I tried all the different modes on it and for stuff like RATT, Dokken, Metallica, Shadows Fall etc it doesn't have the right natural distortion. but for Motorhead, old school Def Leppard, Zeppelin, and stuff like that its perfect. I can mess around with some of the stuff on it with my Metal Zone set as like an OD pedal.
                          Rather than a distortion pedal, you should try an OD pedallike the Boss SD-1 like I'm using on the front end of my Spider Valve. I slam the mid-gain channels (crunch) with it, and they really sing. I'm also kicking around buying an MXR clean boost or something like that too just for kicks.

Comment

I think I may go for that Jekyll and Hyde.. it has OD and Distortion

Comment

Working...
                            X