Orange makes the coolest damn cabs!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange makes the coolest damn cabs!!

Out with the old, in with the new as they say...

I got to really push the Genz Benz G-Flex last week with my Spider Valve, and it wasn't really up to the task. Even after I got it re-EQ'd, it was kinda flubby and bass heavy - a little TOO bass heavy. I know that's part of the deal with the GB cabs, but it wasn't a good rounded sound - at least for me. I guess I'm getting old in that I just don't care much for "big" sounds from a cab - I would rather just leave that to the bass players.

Anyway, I picked up an Orange 2x12 yesterday for a song!! The thing is in near new condition. I gotta say that these are some of the coolest looking amp cabs I've ever seen - they just ooze cool. I can't wait to get home tonight and give it a little workout, but I know pretty much what to expect from a V30 loaded 212.

Pics to come...

Wait a minute! So it's the ultimate, but you havent heard it yet?
    Your just like me! Cosmetics..first! If it sounds good...better!

And for tight, bass? VHT FB cab... insanely tight bass

Comment

Orange and VHT make the best cabs I've tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
        Wait a minute! So it's the ultimate, but you havent heard it yet?
        Your just like me! Cosmetics..first! If it sounds good...better!

And for tight, bass? VHT FB cab... insanely tight bass
        Demoing is for wimps... Yes - pretty much an "image purchase", but I have heard others using them, so I know what they're capable of, and I'm confident in the purchase.

I hadn't seen anyone using the G-Flex in a "live & loud" situation though, and took a chance on it. I had heard it in stores, but you know how that goes... I just got too bassy for me at higher volumes, and when you can't dial that out, there's no point in keeping on with it. Still a nice cab though, but just not for me. I'm kind of into a more vintage sound anyway - I'm not a big modern rock guy, and I think that's what the G-Flex is more designed for. I don't really worry much about bass response in a cab anyway - again, bass is for bass players. I want a good driven sound that cuts through but more with strong mids, and no "boominess"... I don't even really want tight bass. A good rounded sound with an 70's & 80's vibe. I don't need tuned down ferocity.

***EDIT***

I went home and got to play it a little over lunch. Couple things:

1. My amp has an 8 ohm out and a 4 ohm out. The cab is 16 ohms. I assume I'm okay using either, right?

2. It sounded GREAT! It's still not super tight, but not in the least flubby. It's a nice, rounded, focused sound. It didn't get whumpy at volume.

3. Maybe I'm becoming partial to open-backed cabs??? Scary... This one is closed, but I sonder if I could mod it a bit if I "need" to...

I'm already much happier with this than I am with the GB though...
        Last edited by chrisolson; 06-30-2008, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Congrats for the purchase! Some times I buy stuff without demoing it too! Personally I love Orange cabs. If one day I'll choose to sell my marshall cab I'll buy an orange 4x12 for my jcm800 half stack!

Regarding your questions:

1: I'm almost sure your amp can drive that cab safely but wait for someone to confirm this!
          2: I usually prefer closed back cabs, I would leave it alone.

Enjoy

Comment

chris, i went to open back cabs YEARS ago. they are SO much better for "vintage" style rock and classic metal tones. i even cut the back in half on my marshall 4x12 and my mesa recto 2x12. HUGE difference!!! the sound blossoms more andd fills the room better. i have none of that directional crap that a normal closed back cab has. even live - my band plays at least 6 shows a month - my tone ALWAYS crushes the other bands' tones because my sound is "open" and "fills the room" - according to other guitarists. i don't care for a lot of low end either - that's what the bass is for!!!
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
              1. My amp has an 8 ohm out and a 4 ohm out. The cab is 16 ohms. I assume I'm okay using either, right?
              i would use the 8ohm out. you COULD use the 4ohm out, but i personally would use the 8.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!

Now, may I present:

I'm hoping my POD Pro & Floorboard arrive tomorrow - then I'll have some useful effects to play!

Comment

Orange makes some good stuff. I recently picked up a Rockerverb 50 2x12 combo and will likely add a 2x12 extension cab. Great sounding amps and cabs.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Pro Am View Post
                    Orange makes some good stuff. I recently picked up a Rockerverb 50 2x12 combo and will likely add a 2x12 extension cab. Great sounding amps and cabs.
                    I'd like to pick up a Rocker 30 - either the combo or the head, but there's no loop on it, and my main effect is delay... Bummer...

Comment

Yes, only use the 8ohm tap.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony7 View Post
                        Yes, only use the 8ohm tap.
                        Can do. I figure that the best thing to do is to get as close as possible.

Comment

I'd be careful even with the 8ohm/16ohm mismatch.. with a solid state amp it's not a big deal, but the spider valve has a tube power section, which generally like to see an exact match.. some amps can take a mismatch, some can't. unless your user manual specifically says a mismatch is ok, I'd go easy and don't crank it or anything..

I think my biggest gear regret is selling my orange cab

Comment

No worries anymore! Mesa in, SV out!

Comment

Working...
                            X