Randall RM100 or Marshall TSL 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randall RM100 or Marshall TSL 100

I currently use a Randall RM100 with a blackface, JTM and Ultra module. L do like the versatility of being able to change out the modules, but when I play out, I never bring my own gear. The backline gets rented, and the rental company only has popular brands. Since it's pretty easy to get a Marshall, I'm thinking of trading the Randall for a Marshall TSL 100. This way I can play the same amp live that I do when I practice.

Since the TSL is now discontinued, what are your thoughts on the amp? Does it sound good low as well as loud? The only plus for the Marshall, everything else being equal, is that it has reverb. Time to start researching...

I used an RM100 for quite a while - I think it is a much better amp than the TSL.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I use a DSL100. I hear a lot of people saying the DSL is better than the TSL, but I've never really given them a good workout side-by-side.

Comment

the TSL's are just fine. not the greatest amp in the world but do have that classic marshall sound. the RM100 is a great amp too. especially if you get the modules modded.

the question is, do you want to keep your versitile amp for recording or have the same home and live rig?
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Pete, the TSL100 is a fine amp. Classic Marshall tone, great Marshall clean channel.
          I had both a TSL and DSL. Its probably just in my head but I thought the DSL sounded better.
          The nice thing about the JCM2000 series is that you can just plug in and use baseline settings and get a really nice tone.

Comment

Randall RM100 is a good sounding amp and offers many choices of modules to swap between stock Randall, modded, and Egnater. Plus you can bias the tubes yourself in minutes when changing them, you get series and parallel loops, and if a tube fails live the amp automatically kicks it out of the circuit and lets you continue running on the remaining tubes. Oh yeah, the failed tube has an indicator to show you which one went. I vote Randall RM100.
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

John - the question he posed is whether or not to ditch the RM100 for the Marshall. Having used both, I don't think that is a step up.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

To me its a no brainer..which is perfect because I don't have one.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                  John - the question he posed is whether or not to ditch the RM100 for the Marshall. Having used both, I don't think that is a step up.
                  In that case I vote for the RM100 for versatility. I agree with Tim, going from an RM100 with the right modules to a DSL or a TSL is not a step up.... or even a step over. Its a step down in versatility.

Comment

Working...
                  X