suggestions on a new head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions on a new head

Hey guys im in the market for a new amp, and i value you oppinions. i was looking into a few amps but cant really decide, i have a Mesa Roadster, and i love the tone but somedays i hate it . i guess what i want is a more consistent amp, it seems like my mesa has seriously bad days...either that or im crazy!

-the EVH3- this is the one im leaning towards, but i have read many bad reviews about it and its reliability.
    -ENGL powerball- this is the amp that id like to buy the most but there are no dealers and im leary about buying from out of country.
    -JCM800KK- i havent played this yet but ive always wanted a marshall and KK's sound is pretty nice(i spent a considerable amount of time with a JVM combo, and was seriously dissapointed).
    -Mesa stileto deuce/trident- i screwed around with it a little but not enough to form a true opinion, plus ive already got a rectifier and my love/hate relationship with the rectifier is whats driving me to get another amp.

Honestly if there is an amp im kinda overlooking like a hughes and kettner, or soldano(1 channel ), or JSX please suggest, but i play death/black/progresive metal almost exclusively so please give suggestions with that in mind.

Try the Bogner Uberschall. No disappointments there! Thats one serious gain monster that is easy to dial in. Its not cheap but I don't think you'll be looking at many more amps after trying this one
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
      Try the Bogner Uberschall. No disappointments there! Thats one serious gain monster that is easy to dial in. Its not cheap but I don't think you'll be looking at many more amps after trying this one
      My favorite amp right there!!! I will own another when they get a solo boost on it and fix the lack of clean channel volume.

Until then I'll use the 3 channel dual recto.

I tried going back to a rack setup (triaxis/2:100) but after the signal path went through all the stuff in the rack i lost bass tightness... so it's all gone and i'm back to the boogie heads till the guys at bogner make my amp
      USA Doublerhoads Custom Shop
      USA King V Custom Shop X Series

Comment

I love my Carvin V3 and it has all the gain you'd ever need. not expensive either.
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

My Peavey JSX Head has always served me well and a great clean channel, and 2 different gain channels, both intensely awesome.

Comment

Try the DIEZEL Herbert.

Clean, Crunch, and tons of gain with the most beautiful tone I've ever heard.

I would try the Bogner Uberschall too, althougt I think the DIEZEL is more agressive and I like it more than the Bogner.

Any of this two amps are "the definitive amp".
            DARK METAL

Comment

Elmwood Modena - pricey though. Check out some of the clips on YouTube

Splawn - under 2k

Soldano Avenger - under 2k as well. One Channel, but can get brutal.

Custom Audio Amplifiers (CAA) - www.suhrguitars.com - again, pricey

All are built extremely well.
              Last edited by Anthony7; 06-17-2008, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Try the Randall MTS or the Egnater modular stuff. You can switch modules to get different amp sounds such as a jcm800 or a Recto or more. Lots of choices between both Randall and the Egnater lines. Also, Egnater can create some custom based modules if you have an idea for a sound thats isn't available.

Comment

Browse around the Splawn web site. They have some nice clips, videos, etc.

Comment

I've not tried a JVM, but I think you shouldn't rule it out because you tried the combo. A 4x12 cab sounds totally different (better) IMO.

Comment

Check out the Rivera Knucklehead Tré.
                      Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
                      Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

PeteZor, what guitar tones or bands are you looking to achieve a tone similar too? and what is your main axe and pickups?
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I love the Mesa Mark IV. I had a Road King and kinda felt the same way you do, one day sounds great, next day caca tone. I checked out the Mesa Mark IV and fell in love. It is the best amp IMO out there. Sold the Road King and have not looked back.
                          CURRENT GEAR SET UP
                          2005 JACKSON SOLOIST
                          1989 JACKSON KING V
                          1984 JACKSON RR
                          AXE FX II
                          MESA BOOGIE 2:90
                          DMC GROUND CONTROL PRO
                          FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER
                          (2) MESA BOOGIE 4X12 RECTO CABINETS
                          (2) MESA BOOGIE 2X12 RECTO CABINETS

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                            PeteZor, what guitar tones or bands are you looking to achieve a tone similar too? and what is your main axe and pickups?
                            +1.

If you're really looking for a Marshall-y high- gain sound, then I'd still consider a Stilletto... it's QUITE different from a Roadster... and it's quite a bit simpler as well, which actually makes it easier to tweak imo.

If the whole Mesa thing turns you off though, I think the Powerball would be a great choice.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                              honestly i never even thought of bogner, i didnt think of them as a metal amp. ill look around and see if we have them around here.

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                              my main guitar is a jackson kv2 with jb's, id say my second fav is my parker fly with custom duncans, then my esp m1 with emg81. as for tone i think the best way to explain the tone im looking for would be: james hetfield's crossed with mike akerfeldt's.

Originally posted by KINGSFAN View Post
                              I love the Mesa Mark IV. I had a Road King and kinda felt the same way you do, one day sounds great, next day caca tone. I checked out the Mesa Mark IV and fell in love. It is the best amp IMO out there. Sold the Road King and have not looked back.
                              yea i saw a really nice youtube vid with a kid showin a mk4 all off and although i love the tone it doesnt have quite enough brutality to it for my ears, kinda like a nice hard rock amp.

Originally posted by killingismybusiness18 View Post

If you're really looking for a Marshall-y high- gain sound, then I'd still consider a Stilletto... it's QUITE different from a Roadster... and it's quite a bit simpler as well, which actually makes it easier to tweak imo.

If the whole Mesa thing turns you off though, I think the Powerball would be a great choice.
                              id really like a powerball but im so scared of the inet, so im almost to the point of ruling it out because a) i cant try it, and b) i dont wanna get fucked outta like $3500.

also id really like to get some feedback on that EVH3 head form ppl.
                              Last edited by petez0r; 06-19-2008, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X