damn Canada!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damn Canada!

i moved here from mid east 6 years ago ... warm to cold.. warm to cold...
    i wake up today in the morning to this pretty site

now that was about 12 hours ago.. now the chairs are completely covered
    who's gonna shovel the driveway
    If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

I used to live in northern New York, just to the east of Lake Ontario. Learned firsthand the meaning of the term "lake effect snow." The building I lived in had doors that opened OUT. What the hell? Heavy snow would hit overnight and you couldn't get out. Somebody would have to jump out a second-story window and dig the door clear.

Now back in the southeast, I sure don't miss it.
    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Hey I'll take that (originally from the Detroit area).

You want extremes...here in the Dallas area it was 70, wearing shorts, next day a little snow. then back up to around 60 for a couple days, then more snow, some places go nailed wiht 3-5 inches. I had about an inch in my area. Its all melted. Yesterday it was all nice and sunny in the morning so I ssumed it was warm, I went out to go running...it was 30 with a wind chill of 25 so I went back inside...lol
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Yep, the lake effect snow can be brutal. About the only good thing about it is that it is usally ver light fluffy snow.

Comment

Sorry... I hadn't seen your thread...

Here is mine:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80292

Man, I am sick and tired of the snow this year...
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Syracuse doesn't get the brunt of the lake effect. I lived in Watertown. One of the TV networks (NBC, I think) didn't have a local affiliate so it was re-broadcast from NYC. So their weather forecasts were bizarre, like from a different planet. When they'd go to the radar and show the whole state, it'd be snowing just off the lake (ie Watertown) and nowhere else.

When I moved from there it was... hey, about this time of year... and I was driving a Ryder truck. The wind was throwing me all over the interstate, but I didn't care. I just wanted out of there. About 10-15 miles north of Syracuse, the wind just stopped. Creepy.

Comment

Originally posted by necrotechno View Post
              Syracuse doesn't get the brunt of the lake effect. I lived in Watertown. One of the TV networks (NBC, I think) didn't have a local affiliate so it was re-broadcast from NYC. So their weather forecasts were bizarre, like from a different planet. When they'd go to the radar and show the whole state, it'd be snowing just off the lake (ie Watertown) and nowhere else.

When I moved from there it was... hey, about this time of year... and I was driving a Ryder truck. The wind was throwing me all over the interstate, but I didn't care. I just wanted out of there. About 10-15 miles north of Syracuse, the wind just stopped. Creepy.
              I grew up in a little hole of that phenom, Springwater (Wayland, Dansville, Geneseo)...but all we got for TV was Rochester or Syracuse. So whatever weather they were broadcasting had nothng to do with what was actually happeining to us. Strange stuff, indeed.

Comment

I used to drive through all the lake-effect stuff on the way to college in Potsdam, NY (Clarkson U.). I have a photo somewhere of the exit sign for Mexico covered in a foot or two of snow.
                Scott

Comment

Haha, yeah! "Mexico, NY." What the hell were they thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                    I used to drive through all the lake-effect stuff on the way to college in Potsdam, NY (Clarkson U.). I have a photo somewhere of the exit sign for Mexico covered in a foot or two of snow.
                    Hey what year did you graduate? I'm a Clarkson grad myself (Class of '93)

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                      Hey what year did you graduate? I'm a Clarkson grad myself (Class of '93)
                      Would have been '04, but I transferred to another school so I could double major comp sci/music.
                      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                        Would have been '04, but I transferred to another school so I could double major comp sci/music.
                        I switched from comp eng to comp sci myself. It was a brutal four years. I'm surprised you didn't just take some music classes down the road at Potsdam State in parallel.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                          I switched from comp eng to comp sci myself. It was a brutal four years. I'm surprised you didn't just take some music classes down the road at Potsdam State in parallel.
                          I thought about it, and even went down to meet with one of the professors, but I'd have only been allowed to take one music course per semester and of course none of the classes lined up with open spots in my schedule. Originally I wanted to switch to just music, but after a semester at my new school I realized that finding music jobs is next to impossible unless you know the right people, so I kept the comp sci in there too.

Anyway, back to snow!
                          Scott

Comment

Working...
                          X