Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEST SOUNDING SOLID STATE AMPS FOR METAL \m/

So. Spawning from another thread...

What are the best Solid State sounding amps ever...

Modelling amps EXCLUDED>>>> No Line 6 or Johnson or anything like that. Just old school SS heads.

OK.

So. i will go first.

Fender M80 - Great Clean Ch1 and Nice Chunky RnR to metal Ch 2. One of my personal favorites. Effects loop and channel switching. Came with a nice sounding rich reverb and could be had with a chorus as well.

Ampeg VH140 - Channel 1 has killer cleans and channel 2 a CRUSHING Hi gain channel. Very popular with Death Metal bands from the late 90's.

Randall ES series.

many 80's and early 90's cats used these. Great cleans and a nice chunky gain. Could do rock and bumblegum metal all the way to thrash speed metal. The footswitch sucks though because it is a special pin type connector. That scores reeally low in my book and makes it the worst of these three.
    Last edited by Firebird V; 03-07-2008, 01:36 PM.

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76715

Comment

almost anything Crate.

Fender Roc Pro 1000

Fender HM (Heavy Metal)

Marshall Valvestate 8100 series

Marshall AVT series

Peavey XXL and Transtube, as well as almost all of there SS amps.

almost any of the Hughes and Ketterner SS amps.

i'm sure some folks will chime in and list even more.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I played a nice Randall somethingorother last year...it was some model from the 90s and it nailed the Cowboys from Hell ultra-scoop tone.
        Scott

Comment

yes but this one is for METAL!!!!!! AND I want your absolute favorite not just which one is good....

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
            yes but this one is for METAL!!!!!! AND I want your absolute favorite not just which one is good....
            Well, in that case, none of the above. What can I say? I'm a tube junkie.
            Scott

Comment

randall rg's i didnt mind the foot switch i had a couple of extras.

80's marshall SS master leads, dont know the model but i had a 50watt 2 channel W/reverb back in the day & i thought it great

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                Well, in that case, none of the above. What can I say? I'm a tube junkie.
                me too but I thought it might be fun to discuss and I have had my share of SS stuff in the past. Some of it really did a good job and some of it sucked ass.

Comment

Gibson Lab L5
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Crate G120C was a good SS head. Only problem I had with it was the volume stopped increasing after halfway. loved the chorus it had and with stereo outs sounded good for SS. Now it's Tube heaven for me baby! V3!

Comment

Crate GFX 120 is a great one.

Comment

what sort of metal??

thrash or 80s spandex metal?

i would say a marshall avt 100
                        Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                        Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Ampeg VH140 - thom from kamelot still uses one as his amp of choice. they sound awesome. i love my rivera's, but i am looking around for one of these....
                          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Yeah I like the VH140 too. There is a Crate version of this head and you should take a look at the other Ampeg thread Mark. I posted one of the crate versions I found for sale over there.

Super Shredder. The more the merrier. As many genres as possible.

Comment

Fender Roc Pro 1000 (I used to own one of these and thought it was great... could still use a boost in front for heavier stuff, though).

Tech 21 Trademark 300 is what I play through now. It's got three channels (Fender, Marshall and Mesa/Boogie sounds can be assigned to any of the three channels) with active tone controls, two footswitchable effects loops (series and parallel), and even a solo boost switch. I love it, especially the Marshall sound... it's like a hot-rodded Plexi. It also takes well to OD pedals pushing it into even higher gain territory. The Boogie section gives a little more gain, but I still prefer the Marshall tones. And the clean Fender tones are very good, too.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X