No Country For Old Men.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Country For Old Men.

I'd like to know what warranted all the hype about this film. It was by no means horrible, and the acting was good, but that's about it. The plot was hardly mentionable, and the ending was WEAK AS FUCK!!!

I found it kinda slow, and it never really went anywhere. It simply revolved around this psychotic Mexican going around killing everyone.

It's worth watching, but considering the hype, it was another huge letdown.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

I liked it more than you did but I liked There Will Be Blood better. "You're a bastard in a basket!"

Comment

I watched 30 Days of Night yesterday too. It was entertaining. I didn't expect much, which is probably why I don't have anything bad to say about it. It was just one of those silly horror flicks, that kinda make you laugh. There was a lot of pretty gory parts in it too.

Comment

Too deep for you.

Comment

Saw 30 days of night too.
          A different spin on a vampire storyline.
          Wasn't bad, I've most definitely seen much better vampire flicks.
          Its worth a watch, thats about it.
          Vampire flicks are all the same, gore and sensuality and a love story mixed in.
          If its a so called vampire flick and there isn't any gore and some sensuality, its a fake.
          Bram Stroker's Dracula, Interview with a Vampire, the Underworld flicks, these are decent vampire movies
          that I could watch frequently and not get bored with them. Good stuff.
          Last edited by Soap; 03-07-2008, 04:11 PM.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I quite enjoyed 'No country for old men'. Mind you I like most things by the Coen brothers. I have to say it didn't end how I expected it would. But I would say it's one of the best pieces of cinema I've seen in ages.
            Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Here you go, Zeegs. This should be right up your alley:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c6a5728047

Comment

I'm a little late on this thread, but oh well.......

I loved this movie up until the last quarter. I felt like i'd been ripped off with the 'twist'. Extremely anticlimatic. Maybe that was the point?

Comment

I just got done watching this. Definitely not satisfying on the first view. Whereas O Brother Where Art Thou and Fargo were thoroughly satisying the first time through. Maybe it's just that the Coens do comedy better.

Anyway, SPOILERS AHEAD.

They start with the sheriff, then it goes to Josh Brolin's character and the sheriff is nearly forgotten for about an hour. Then when Brolin's character is killed (30 minutes before the end, OFF CAMERA) the sheriff takes over again. I'm guessing the book wasn't so awkwardly structured.

The truck corral with the drugs, dead Mexicans and dead dogs. Okay, I wouldn't have gone in there in the first place, but WHY did he go back? To take that Mexican some water? Can't figure that one out yet.

The tracking device thing was stupid. Had to be within a mile of the transmitter to pick it up. In Texas. Mmm-hmmm.

How did Woody Harrelson find Brolin in Mexico? How did he figure out Brolin threw the case off the bridge? Kinda lame he could easily spot the case from the bridge, also.

The pointless killer-in-a-car-crash reminded me of another movie, The Pledge, with Jack Nicholson. I've had a few years to ponder that one, and I've decided I don't like it.

Roger Ebert said of this film, "Flawless." Right now, I beg to differ. Fine acting, great editing, awesome gore effects. Decent theme, but the story itself is full of holes.
                  please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

blame the novel for weak story/plot
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by necrotechno View Post
                      I just got done watching this. Definitely not satisfying on the first view. Whereas O Brother Where Art Thou and Fargo were thoroughly satisying the first time through. Maybe it's just that the Coens do comedy better.

Anyway, SPOILERS AHEAD.

They start with the sheriff, then it goes to Josh Brolin's character and the sheriff is nearly forgotten for about an hour. Then when Brolin's character is killed (30 minutes before the end, OFF CAMERA) the sheriff takes over again. I'm guessing the book wasn't so awkwardly structured.

The truck corral with the drugs, dead Mexicans and dead dogs. Okay, I wouldn't have gone in there in the first place, but WHY did he go back? To take that Mexican some water? Can't figure that one out yet.

The tracking device thing was stupid. Had to be within a mile of the transmitter to pick it up. In Texas. Mmm-hmmm.

How did Woody Harrelson find Brolin in Mexico? How did he figure out Brolin threw the case off the bridge? Kinda lame he could easily spot the case from the bridge, also.

The pointless killer-in-a-car-crash reminded me of another movie, The Pledge, with Jack Nicholson. I've had a few years to ponder that one, and I've decided I don't like it.

Roger Ebert said of this film, "Flawless." Right now, I beg to differ. Fine acting, great editing, awesome gore effects. Decent theme, but the story itself is full of holes.
                      Dead on man!

Oh yeah, Roger Ebert is a TWAT!

Comment

I'm guessing reading the book would explain things alot better, but if the movie doesn't work as a standalone from the book, why even bother making it in that medium?

I'll probably still buy the dvd when it goes on special though and just imagine my own ending I agree with whoever said the Coens do comedy better. Raising Arizona and Miller's Crossing (not exactly a comedy, but has a few really funny scenes) are two of my favourite movies. No Country for Old Men had no humour in it (although I did giggle a little at the dog chasing Josh Brolin swimming down the river) and seems like it was made solely to win oscars.

Comment

Working...
                        X