X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Led Tour:(

From The Gear page:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,6844831.story

An offer of 100 million pounds was reportedly turned down.
    By Randy Lewis, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    3:56 PM PST, March 3, 2008
    Robert Plant has said no to an offer of 100 million pounds -- about $200 million U.S. -- for Led Zeppelin to tour, saying he prefers to leave the band's November reunion in London as the final word on its legacy, according to England's Sunday Mirror.

The paper quotes sources close to the band saying that while guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist John Paul Jones were supportive of a hotly anticipated Zeppelin reunion tour on the heels of last fall's performance, Plant would rather focus on, among other non-Zeppelin interests, his recent collaboration with Alison Krauss, "Raising Sand," for which the two will be on tour starting April 19 in Louisville, Ky.

The tour stops in L.A. at the Greek Theatre on June 23 and 24 and at the Santa Barbara Bowl on June 25.

According to the report, Plant has nixed any additional performances by Led Zeppelin. "Despite the enormous offer, the decision did not come down to money," the Sunday Mirror quoted an anonymous source. "They always said they would do the one-off show and then see how they felt.... [Plant] has other commitments and is happier looking forward to those."
    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

fuck
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I guess hes gone country. Id rather tour with Alsion Krauss though. Shes hotter than Page. Led Zepplin is Gone gone gone haha

Comment

And what would they have charged? $1000 per ticket? What happens then when Page goes sloppy on the Heartbreaker solo? Public lynching?

This doesn't surprise me in the least.
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

How. the. fuck. can anyone turn down $200 million?!
          This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

nevermind....
            Last edited by toddstaples; 03-05-2008, 04:20 PM.
            "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Before I get my throat jumped down, that was a shot at the mentality that artists "owe" us something when we pay for a ticket to watch them live.

I would have loved to see what they would have charged though. I don't think $1000 would be too far off base if they did one of those "Platinum Membership" kinda things. Meet and greet, photo op., autographs. That kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by petedz View Post
                How. the. fuck. can anyone turn down $200 million?!
                You probably can when you're as rich as those guys.
                I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Is Plant richer than Page and Jones? Because it always seems like those guys are up for it but it's Plant who is the sand in the vagina, if you will.

EDIT: Or is it that Plant feels he has a legacy out of Zep and Page and Jones don't? I think Jones is cool with anything. Seems like Page lives on the Zep reputation. Which is just fine, don't get me wrong. But Plant had a decent solo career while Page did some cool stuff (The Firm) and some not so original stuff (Page/Coverdale).
                  Last edited by Bengal; 03-05-2008, 04:56 PM.

Comment

I would've liked to see them, but not if they're just going through the motions to get paid, and this makes it clear that Plant really doesn't want to do it. I give him credit for being able to turn down that kind of green. He's plenty rich, and I guess I'm getting old enough to kinda see where he may be coming from. You hit an age where your remaining time is very valuable to you, more valuable than money, and you'd rather spend it on something that you really want to do.

Comment

they all are ridiculously rich and I don't think Robert is a lot richer than the others..

I belive Roger Waters has more bread than Gilmour but Gilmour turned the offer down when Roger offered him 100 mil bounds to do a Pink Floyd reunion tour
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                        they all are ridiculously rich and I don't think Robert is a lot richer than the others..

I belive Roger Waters has more bread than Gilmour but Gilmour turned the offer down when Roger offered him 100 mil bounds to do a Pink Floyd reunion tour
                        That is one I'd pay out the nose to see.

Comment

I wonder if this is the start of a PR campaign? Call me a cynic...
                          Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

I think that Plant has long been more wary of an official Zep reunion than the other guys. IIRC, it took the Coverdale/Page thingy to get Plant to work with Page again back in the '90s--and the Coverdale/Page album was a lot better musically, in my opinion.

As to money, I'm pretty sure that Page is the richest guy in the band--he's up there in pre-divorce McCartney territory. This is one case where the decision truly did not involve money. Unlike most of the other '70s megabands, Zeppelin actually got paid properly for their massive sales, and they are all very rich.

Comment

I saw them in 1969 or thereabouts.:ROTF: When did Led Zep 1 come out?.
                              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                              X