"Ask first"/"Don't touch" cards on guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ask first"/"Don't touch" cards on guitars

I was tempted to sell both my import Jacksons as a way to finance a snakeskin DK1 that's still hung up on a wall at Sound Control, Leicester. They put cards under the strings of expensive guitars, telling customers, "Ask first" and "Do not touch".

I thought since no-one else is gonna buy it at £1799, I'll just take another look ... to find some shithead has put a ton of scratches in the body. Just as well I did take that look, because it will be my last. I can't see that EVER selling now. Those warning cards are there for a REASON. Assholes. .
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

I could never own a music store because I'd be too damned busy making sure people didn't use quarters for picks. Big belt buckles and chains are also a huge no-no.
    "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
      I could never own a music store because I'd be too damned busy making sure people didn't use quarters for picks. Big belt buckles and chains are also a huge no-no.
      you'd kick Billy Gibbons out?
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

That could be your opportunity to make a deal. Unless you think the scratches are too deep to buff out.

Comment

:ROTF:
          Originally posted by Endrik View Post

Comment

Originally posted by åron View Post
            That could be your opportunity to make a deal. Unless you think the scratches are too deep to buff out.
            Agreed, I personally don't even care about the scratches. If it's there for a long time, go tell them you know it has been sitting there and ask them to give you a deal
            Check my bands!
            www.myspace.com/magicktr
            www.myspace.com/sinif64
            www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

It would have to be one heck of a deal, since it sounds like the scratches are bad enough to make it a used instrument. By todays prices, that reduces it's value to less than half the sticker. I doubt they'll do that--it will just sit there for all eternity. Didn't know you had a Guitar Denter equivalent over in the UK.
              This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                yes
                "POOP"

Comment

i usually wont give those places my business. either that or make the salesman break out the ladder to get my a guitar highest up on the wall, then leave after playing a really bad smoke on the water. IMO thats right up there with sales people asking you are going to buy a guitar or you just here to play. last time that happened to me, i pulled out 2g+ & told the salesman, "i was looking to buy something nice, but it wont be from here" & i walked out.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                    i usually wont give those places my business. either that or make the salesman break out the ladder to get my a guitar highest up on the wall, then leave after playing a really bad smoke on the water. IMO thats right up there with sales people asking you are going to buy a guitar or you just here to play. last time that happened to me, i pulled out 2g+ & told the salesman, "i was looking to buy something nice, but it wont be from here" & i walked out.
                    Nice! I love sticking it to the man!

Comment

That's why GC is having trouble.... I went into a GC here in Northern California and there were two guitars on the wall with broken strings, several others with missing switch tips and knobs etc.... I just laugh because when a teenager asks me if he can play an instrument, the first thing I tell them is that jewelry and belt buckles have to come off and they agree with me.... no harm in telling them that we are wanting to keep the instruments in best condition.... I do remember that Michael Angelo Batio did scratch two of my Deans, but I threw them on my buffer and they were back to new again! I did sell them quickly though because everyone in town knew that they were played by him!

It's not just the teens though, I had an adult come in and set his wet coke cup down on an EVH amp, grab a guitar and put his foot on one of my Marshall Combos and start playing a guitar and there was a stool about two feet away..... People should try to remember that the small Mom and Pop stores don't have deep pockets like GC and damaged goods are a loss in sales which can hurt pretty bad, GC doesn't feel it the same way.... I'm sure they do get hit hard by damaged goods, but with their cash flow, I would venture to guess that they can recover within hours where with a small store like mine takes a bit to recover from the loss.

Anyway... I'm rambling on... sorry!

BTW.... I would NOT kick out Billy Gibbons, I would just remind him that I have to sell it... I'm sure that he would understand, Or buy it!
                      Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

These music store employees can be fun (I used to be one) on a number of levels.
                        The other day, I was in the little mom & pop local store... the kid that works there, I'm pretty sure his dad owns the place.
                        I'd say he's about 18 or so.
                        Anyhow, this older lady was in there with her grandson, who was having the kid look at the bridge... trying to describe what was wrong with it as he handed it across the counter.
                        So, as he takes the guitar, and starts looking at it he goes "Yeah,,, this thing's FUCKED man"

LOLOLOL

The older lady gasp so loudly, I thought she was gonna choke on her dentures.

It was hilarious

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                        --floydkramer

Comment

At my pawnshop not only do I take down the guitars on the wall I can reach, there have been a few times where one guy told where the ladder was. He had a bad knee and made me bring a few down.:ROTF: They do have the upperdeck. It's so high that I use binoculars.:ROTF: They have to get those down for me.
                          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Fett don't need no ladder!
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                              Fett don't need no ladder!
                              :ROTF::ROTF:
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X