I wanna buy a gas station!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanna buy a gas station!

Seriously. Ya know, Ive just about had it. Im tired of busting my fucking ass every god damn day just to barely make ends meet. Ive got another kid on the way (in the next couple weeks actually) and I NEED a bigger house.

Yesterday, I stopped at an Exxon and realized there was a white guy working there... then I notice a couple signs "American owned and operated". So I got talking to the guy, who was very freindly... was nice to be able to actually talk to someone in MY native language, ENGLISH. It was really refreshing to see that it was American owned... you really do NOT see that anymore, especially around here.

I got to thinking about all the breaks these immigrants get, to come here and start a business. Why cant I? Hell, Id me MORE than happy to own and run a gas station. While its not glamorous by any means, thats not the point. Why should these people be given so much by the govt, while I can barely make ends meet?

Im seriously going to look into it... Gas station, 7-11, DunkinDonuts... why do these people get to run these stores, when so many of us have busted our ass all our lives HERE and have virtually nothing to show for it? I mean hell, if they can come and start one with no collateral and have never paid a cent of tax before, then I should be able to no problem, right? Yeah, well see about that.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

A former employee of mine left 2 years ago to open a station. He got his ass handed to him bigtime. Like 6 figures in the hole and still going to court a couple times a month. Do your homework. The money is in the convenience stores. You make jack shit on the fuel, no matter what the price is. His station had a tiny convenience store and a garage, which was a big part of the problem. Good mechanics are hard to find and keep. Good, hard-working employees of any kind are hard to find & keep these days. I'm not trying to scare you. Being your own boss rules, and this still is the land of opportunity, imo. Just make sure you get into the right situation, and again, do your homework.

As for the immigrant-owned stations & convenience stores (at least the ones around here), I think one of their big secrets to success is that they often have the whole extended family involved, and they are all willing to bust ass & sacrifice to make it work. Less reliance on hourly employees who don't give a shit.
    Last edited by dg; 03-04-2008, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Because you would have to own like, about ten of them to equal the profit of a halfway decent blue collar job. Along with benefits.
      BTW...(I see your tongue in your cheek, I hope), I speak on authority. I worked a bit
      at an Exxon, my wife was bookeeper/payroll/etc for one, had access to the financials of every Exxon in the city, and the owners weren't making much. Maybe 70k a year in 1992. And squat for benefits, no company matching, and told how to run the stations (like any franchise). I know also, because I did a bit of the early computer system setups, and saw the paltry numbers. And, the "profit" on gasoline is around 3-4% per station, before taxes and fees. Most of the money is in convenience, lottery, and auto service. And BTW, auto service at a major gas station is a rare thing anymore.
      Not quite the dream job that it seems.

Comment

Damn DG, Great minds think alike!

I should have saved my post and waited a few seconds.
        We were typing nearly in unison.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
          As for the immigrant-owned stations & convenience stores (at least the ones around here), I think one of their big secrets to success is that they often have the whole extended family involved, and they are all willing to bust ass & sacrifice to make it work. Less reliance on hourly employees who don't give a shit.
          They usually do have their families involved, and mostly pay cash to buy the business in the first place.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The reason why they owm those places is they come here with suitcases of cash. They buy the franchise and know how to run a mom and pop. What is not to get? I'm not a racist buit I do understand the difference in culture.
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

They have more toes than you do. Toe We hit at the same time.:ROTF:

Comment

I liike the people at my Quicky Mart. We talk cricket.:ROTF::ROTF:

Comment

Just to chime back in, because it feels a little like a pile-on, I think it's awesome that you are thinking about being your own boss, Robb. I totally encourage it, and you seem like the kind of guy who can pull it off. You're sharp, have varied skills & interests, you're motivated, and you get things done. Just find the right thing for you and jump in with both feet!

Comment

I've heard that as gas prices go up, the profits for those franchise owners actually goes down.

Comment

I was just using gas station as an example really... but I wouldnt pass on the opportunity to own one! Luckily, Im pretty much a mechanic myself(not certified but Ive fixed and built some badass stuff).

Regardless, my main point is that I believe it Americans should get the breaks when it comes to opening business, not immigrants. Im tired of living paycheck to paycheck, feeling like I have no future. I never went to college, by choice. I couldnt justify spending well over 100k on an "education".

Im a jack of all trades... not tooting my own horn, because I dont know it all, FAR from it... but I know vehicles in and out, computer/server/networks (MCSE), electronics (worked at lockheed martin for almost 6 years) guitars, carpentry/remodeling, plumbing, electrical, tile/hardwood flooring, sales (not that great, Im too honest ). BUT, knowing all that, hasnt gotten me anywhere in life. Sure, these skills enable me to do all of these things for myself and not to have to pay anyone, but without a "degree" I cant seem to get anywhere.

So Im going to do something myself. I dont know what, but Im going to do something. Im really liking fretwork, so Im thinking of maybe seeing how that goes. But its all up in the air... it sucks when you like/can do so many things, you never have time to focus on one thing and you always lose track.
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I think small business loans are available to all Americans. Check into it. I don't think it's an immigration issue.

But if someone can educate me on how immigrants get "all the good stuff" while us natural citizens get screwed, I'm listening. Not being a smart ass either, I'm naturally curious.

A lot of us live paycheck to paycheck. There is no middle class left. Sadly. Use to be able to afford a nice house and send the kids to college on a middle class income. Not so much anymore. I don't really blame the immigrants. If anything, I blame NAFTA. But thats another thread.

But like I said, I don't really know about this issue. Maybe it's just the immigrants that are willing to take the risk? Do the shit jobs like run a convience store? I know I wouldn't want to run one. But maybe someone with insight into this issue can chime in.
                        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

They get MAJOR tax breaks. I dont know all the specifics, but its pretty obvious that its not that hard for them to start a business on just about every street corner. Seriously, when they work at EVERY gas station, dunkin donuts and convenience store within a 5 mile radius, and our own people are living on the streets, theres something wrong, dont you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                            But like I said, I don't really know about this issue. Maybe it's just the immigrants that are willing to take the risk? Do the shit jobs like run a convience store? I know I wouldn't want to run one. But maybe someone with insight into this issue can chime in.
                            Huh. Maybe somebody with some insight already chimed in.
                            I guess if I'm not an immigrant, I don't count.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                              They get MAJOR tax breaks. I dont know all the specifics, but its pretty obvious that its not that hard for them to start a business on just about every street corner. Seriously, when they work at EVERY gas station, dunkin donuts and convenience store within a 5 mile radius, and our own people are living on the streets, theres something wrong, dont you think?
                              Well, I'm not sure. What that initially says to me is we are lazy and they are not. (Judgement call, most american homeless that I run into are usually hopeless alcoholics) I think small business owners get tax breaks, I'm not sure if it's based on who owns the business. I have heard that they give incentives to immigrants who come here legally to start a business. But why shouldn't they? If they come here legally and are willing to go into the service industry, they should get some incentives.

My thought is just because they work there doesn't mean they own it. Maybe they do. I don't know.

I tend to believe what dg wrote about families getting involved. I bet they don't get "paid" like we are use to. I could be wrong on that too but the ones around here don't take home a shitload of money. But they pay the mortgage and can survive. But it's not in luxury.

But we are talking about legal immigrants, right?
                              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X