Old cars with new mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old cars with new mods

I never could quite figure out why someone would take a 20 to 35 year old cool car and put 20's on them. In all my looking around, I have maybe seen 1 car that looks good. If the the came with 13's, 14's or '15's why not go with that? I'm not really big into mixing decades when it comes to modding a car. And don't even get me started on the fukking spinning hubcaps.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

What gets me is most of the HUGE rims I see on these old cars cost more than the car.

I love the idiots that slap 20" wheels on their Tahoe but leave the factory brakes on them. The idiots are so into the wheels that they neglect the fact that they just added more rotating mass and increased their 60 - 0 braking distance by another 50+ feet.

And I'm right there with you on spinners Fett. Talk about fugly.
    -Rick

Comment

Depends on the car. Big rims were pretty cool on the 60's and 70's whips out here. A neighbor has a 70 Impala with massive rims and it looks tough. The 80's Caddys and Buicks look pretty ridiculous, imo. Then some folks decided they would look good on 90's and 21st century cars. 22+" rims look so stupid on Taurus, SC4000 and other rounder modern shapes. That seems to be a growing trend out here. Fortunately, I can always use a good laugh.

Comment

I have a set of 20's on my 73 Charger. To me they have so much space in the wheel well that a bigger rim and tire looks better. You have to get the right stance though. If you put bigger rims on, lower the car as well. If you have lots of space it looks like crap. To me it's all about the whole package. Little rims, big rims it dosn't matter as long as it's tought out.
        H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

LOL
          I love to see peeps throwing those big rims on shit up here.
          Can you say Pothole? How about frost heave? No?
          Oh, but you can say "Hummer H2... I'll take it... but, only if you throw tinfoil rims on it for me so I can't make it home"
          hehehe
          Thin rubber/big rims = Destroyed up here, and quickly.
          Instantly.
          No rubber to cushion the blow.
          I just giggle, like this: hehehehe:ROTF:

Then, I steer AROUND the pot hole, and cruise home in comfort.

It's just not practical up here, and those who force it, well, it costs.
          (As all stupidity should)

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 01-16-2012, 06:19 PM.
            Just a guitar player...

Comment

As long as we are talking wish lists...

'68 Camaro with Krager Slotted Mags

60's would do nicely

--floydkramer

Comment

I can understand a complete pimped out ride with big wheels and done right. I guess. That's a custom job. But to throw 20's on a POS new car looks stupid. And to do that to an otherwise stock old car is just dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                  I can understand a complete pimped out ride with big wheels and done right. I guess. That's a custom job. But to throw 20's on a POS new car looks stupid. And to do that to an otherwise stock old car is just dumb.
                  Amen fett.

We ain't all Chip Foose
                  --floydkramer

Comment

even chip foose aint'

Its so rare to see aftermarket wheels done right on any era of car much less new on old. That said, it can be done! Cars designed back in the day had small wheels and alot of rubber. I run 80 series white walls on my 13"s, as was factory in 1967, but going lower profile (which makes sense when you update suspension on old things) increases performance and stability etc...your gonna need bigger a wheel to keep the same diameter. This is using logic of course, which these plastic mag buyers know nothing of

Comment

I can just hardly wait until I need to get new shoes for my baby.

Comment

I really like the pro-touring look alot of older muscle cars are given... but 20's is definitely pushing it.
                        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I always loved the old Cragar wheels on late 60 Camaros. Add a blower,Weiand tunnel ram, a pair of Holley quad barrels, Hooker headers, a Hurst shift kit with Farrah Fawcett and Kate Jackson blitzed on coke giving me knob with a time machine that takes me back to '77. Do you think they would notice that I would be only 7 in my Porsche Carrera shades?

Comment

Like I said you can do 20's right-or wrong. Here are 20's done very right. Actully 19x9 in the front and 20x12 in the back.
                            H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by El_Kabong View Post
                              I always loved the old Cragar wheels on late 60 Camaros. Add a blower,Weiand tunnel ram, a pair of Holley quad barrels, Hooker headers, a Hurst shift kit with Farrah Fawcett and Kate Jackson blitzed on coke giving me knob with a time machine that takes me back to '77. Do you think they would notice that I would be only 7 in my Porsche Carrera shades?
                              :ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:
                              --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                              X