The weirdness/talent matrix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The weirdness/talent matrix

A few years ago an older musician told me something to the effect of "the better the musician someone is, the weirder they are."

I must say that knowing many great musicians, this seems to be a very true statement. It's hard for me to say anything about my playing ability without sounding pompous, but let's just say that I am unanimously considered one of the weirdest dudes around. And I turn a few heads when I pick up the guitar as well.

At least 90% of the great musicians that I know are very weird people. Maybe it has something to do with finding music inside yourself makes you a bit introverted, or maybe to make unique music you must be a unique person. Or maybe to spend the time it takes to become a great musician you must isolate yourself from the world for long periods of time. Or maybe touring around and meeting so many people gives you a weird perspective on life that people aren't accustomed to. Or maybe we've all done too many drugs. Or maybe we are super intelligent and misunderstood. Or maybe we can't turn the muses of creativity off when the time to be "normal" arises. Or maybe the loud volume of our instruments has shaken our brains loose. Or maybe something in the guitar finishes has made us crazy(note, they must use the same chemical in the processing of nearly ALL musical instruments. We all know there is something they put in drumsticks that makes people loopy.) Or maybe music appeals to people who have trouble communicating verbally in a straight forward manner. Or maybe EVERYONE is weird, and I just happen to know mostly musicians. Or maybe social exile forces the weird into music. Or maybe great musicians talk to God and people can't get what they're saying. Or maybe we are listening to our inner soundtrack too loud to carry on a coherent normal conversation. Or maybe we're all some sort of savants. Or aliens. Or maybe your all a figure of my imagination. Or maybe I've done too many drugs and I hallucinated the dude who said that to justify my own weirdness to myself, and this whole thread is a manifestation of that. Or maybe you are all part of that manifestation as well. Or maybe I am dreaming all of this and I will wake up tomorrow morning seven years old again.

I see it, and I try to understand. Then I stop trying and I do.

well, most of the artists are weird... "different" is better word I think

artists usually have totally different view on life, society, politics, religion, philosophies etc. compared to most of the "regular" people... they all have some hippie, rebellious punk, bohemian etc. characteristics in their persona
    there is a big change that a "regular" person who happens to be a fan of some artist wouldn't get a long with that artists on a personal level because of their differences
    it's pretty obvious also when you read this board... many folks here are just fans of guitars and rock music but many of them don't approve any rock'n'roll type of lifestyle and views
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

pretty much all the great musicians I know are very weird... but that's cool I think... I find regular people to be boring mostly.... I'm a pretty pervy freak myself
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
        many folks here are just fans of guitars and rock music but many of them don't approve any rock'n'roll type of lifestyle and views
        I do!

The successful musos I've been fortunate enough to get to know seem to be ok. I think the money and the success has a tendency to isolate from ordinary day to day life, but it gives them the ability and freedom to live their lifestyles how they want instead of us ordinary Joe's who are stuck on the 9 to 5 treadmill. I wouldn't call them weird. Eccentric is a the word I'd use.
        Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Originally posted by shobet View Post
          I do!
          of course you do, because you are a freak

Comment

I have a very weird freind kind of aloof at times but a great guy with huge amounts of talent.Killer guitar player/song writer good enough his band toured and opened for Deep Purple in the 80's.
            This guy is just so off the wall its scary sometimes.A hell of a lot of fun to be around.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

So, I'm not weird enough, or fit enough.
              So, should I get weird first, to get better, or will it happen naturally as I progress?

Comment

Yes, I've noticed this as well. I'm a bit of a 'weird' chap myself and so are most of my friends, who are all 'musicians' as well for the most part.

I think it has to do with some kind of realization that you want to live your life differently and dedicate yourself to music, also you just have a different view on things.

Like when we're going out, all of us will be going up in the music so hard we'll just be dancing without regards for anything or anyone else. I lost a lot of girls that way! But fuggem
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

of course you do, because you are a freak
                  Maybe that's why they seem normal to me...

Fucking rock on I'm a freak!

I'd also agree with you that they are all utter perverts and deviants.
                  Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

So that's why I'm a lousy musician.
                    This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

pretty much all the great musicians I know are very weird... but that's cool I think... I find regular people to be boring mostly.... I'm a pretty pervy freak myself
                      There's a difference between being weird, and being an opinionated bastard you know.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I don't consider myself weird. It's everyone else who's weird.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Which explains why it is so difficult to form a band and keep it together. It also explains why bands/artists who are on top of the world seem to always fuck it up one way or another. They can't be satisfied with making their music, millions of dollars and being worshiped like gods.

I give a lot of credit to those bands like Eagles, Aerosmith,KISS,ZZ Top, to name a few, who have endured over the years. I doubt we will ever see groups that last like these in the future. The new bands seem to crash and burn faster all the time.
                          "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                          I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                            So, I'm not weird enough, or fit enough.
                            So, should I get weird first, to get better, or will it happen naturally as I progress?
                            Oh hell no Cyg, your'e plenty weird allready :ROTF:
                            Now just work on those chops LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                              There's a difference between being weird, and being an opinionated bastard you know.
                              no there isn't

Comment

Working...
                              X