Jeff Healy passes away at 41

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Healy passes away at 41

Legendary blues and jazz guitarist Jeff Healey has died, his publicist said Sunday. The Canadian musician had battled cancer his entire life.

"It was something he fought with considerable bravery," his publicist, Richard Flohil, told Newsnet late Sunday.

Healey, 41, had lost his eyesight to a rare form of the disease, Retinoblastoma, at the age of one.

The musician had performed with such acclaimed guitar players as B. B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Albert Collins and George Harrison.

His full name was Norman Jeffrey Healey and he passed away Sunday in the city of his birth, Toronto, at St. Joseph's Hospital.

Healey first began playing guitar at the age of three and formed his first band while still a teenager, according to his website. He played with a very distinctive style, laying his guitar on his lap.

"Visually, Jeff was an intriguing player to watch, because he played guitar -- by any conventional standard -- all wrong, with it flat across his lap," said Flohil. "But he was remarkable, a virtuoso player."

One of his best-known songs, "Angel Eyes," came from the Grammy-nominated album See the Light.

His blues band, simply called the Jeff Healey Band, has sold more than 1 million albums in the United States. But along with rock and blues music, Healey was also an accomplished jazz musician.

In his final years he had hosted a jazz program on Jazz-FM in Toronto, playing rare tracks from his vast collection of more than 30,000 78-rpm records.

He had also been touring with a group called the Jazz Wizards, playing American jazz from the 1920s, 1930s and early 1940s.

They had been planning to perform a series of shows in Britain, German and Holland in April.

Healey leaves behind his wife, Cristie, 13-year-old daughter Rachel and three-year-old son Derek.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

wow. that's a so sad. great player. rip jeff
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

an amazing talent. .... RIP
      ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

RIP Jeff
        Incredible talent... most disturbing to hear of his passing.
        I had no idea he battled cancer his whole life.

He had "Angel Eyes"
        "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

Wow. Bummer. RIP. Such a great musician.

Comment

damn....
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Too young. RIP.

Comment

Man, I really loved his chops, and the fact that he played a few Jacksons made him all the better in my book. A Sad day in my life. R.I.P.

Comment

Very sad to hear, RIP Jeff.
                  Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

fuck..... I'm lost for words.

RIP Jeff
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Yeah, that's really sad to hear. I'd not realised he had cancer either....
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

That sucks, I had no idea...had always wanted to hit his club in Toronto...RIP, Jeff...
                        Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

shitty! i always liked that guy. i am going to watch roadhouse in his honor now...

Comment

Very sad to hear that. I loved his Jeff Healey Band album. Great player, great sound and chops.

RIP brutha.

Comment

Man, that's sad to hear. When he comes to mind, I always think of an 80s photo of him holding a Jackson doubleneck (siamese I believe). RIP.
                              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                              X