hockey equipment help... please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hockey equipment help... please

short story... haven't played in about ten years got the itch to play again. looking at sticks... the sizing charts seemed to have changed since i last looked at them, does anyone know the difference between intermediate and senior sizes? what are the better brands... easton, mission, or some other brands? (starting out with roller then will make the move to ice)
    Last edited by semagic; 03-01-2008, 08:54 PM.
    Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
    Amp... Pioneer
    Effects... Boss ME-20

I always get a stick that can be cut down so that it comes to the chin of the user or so, no higher than the nose. My son like missions I still have an old sher-wood I use. <cranky old guy> I can't believe how expensive some of these things are, it is outrageous, unthinkable, a crime against humanity, to contemplate buying a hockey stick for 200 or 300 bucks. </cranky old guy>

Comment

Originally posted by Tashtego View Post
      I always get a stick that can be cut down so that it comes to the chin of the user or so, no higher than the nose. My son like missions I still have an old sher-wood I use. <cranky old guy> I can't believe how expensive some of these things are, it is outrageous, unthinkable, a crime against humanity, to contemplate buying a hockey stick for 200 or 300 bucks. </cranky old guy>
      i've found protective pads from various brands for around 200-250 dollars for elbow, shin, shoulder pads, ect... but sticks seem expensive.
      Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
      Amp... Pioneer
      Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Yeah I've always wanted to play but have been unwilling to spend the money.

Comment

PM Shawn. He's a hockey nut. I think he still plays.
          "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
          I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

I've had good luck with Easton sticks. One thing to remember is to get a wood one; cheaper, hold up better, and when they break after a slap shot you don't have a $300 twig. Wood just feel more substantial and like a real piece of gear, not a toy. My current one is a Forsberg Easton I've had for three years. Granted I play on mainly on the street, but for a wood to take three years on my driveway it's doing pretty damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
              I've had good luck with Easton sticks. One thing to remember is to get a wood one; cheaper, hold up better, and when they break after a slap shot you don't have a $300 twig. Wood just feel more substantial and like a real piece of gear, not a toy. My current one is a Forsberg Easton I've had for three years. Granted I play on mainly on the street, but for a wood to take three years on my driveway it's doing pretty damn good.
              what's the difference between a intermidiate stick vs. senior stick? is it quality? i'm trying to avoid having to cut it down to size.
              Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
              Amp... Pioneer
              Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Originally posted by dk2magic View Post
                what's the difference between a intermidiate stick vs. senior stick? is it quality? i'm trying to avoid having to cut it down to size.
                Can't honestly remember. I know mine is a senior. I THINK it is size, but don't quote me on that. I know I have a Koho thats my backup stick that is slightly shorter than my Easton, but I don't remember if it is intermediate or not. I want to say it is.

EDIT: How tall are you? I'm 6' and my Easton senior is perfect. When I was younger I used the Koho, and I was 5'9"-5'11" when I used it and found it comfy.
                Last edited by CharvelRocker; 03-01-2008, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                  EDIT: How tall are you? I'm 6' and my Easton senior is perfect. When I was younger I used the Koho, and I was 5'9"-5'11" when I used it and found it comfy.
                  5'6"... some of the mission sticks stand right at my nose w/o skates... so i wouldn't need to cut them down at all.

http://www.missionhockey.com/ice_hoc...TID=2&prodID=1
                  Last edited by semagic; 03-01-2008, 09:49 PM.
                  Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                  Amp... Pioneer
                  Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

where are you going to play at?

Do not cheap out on skates, shin pads, pants or gloves. Shoulder pads are pretty worthless in beer leagues and crack up seeing guys wearing football sized pads. I wear my antique ones form junior...if you ever seen Brendon Shannahan or Chelios crusty shoulder pads you'll get the idea. There is a great shop in plano/richardson are(can't remember the name at the moment but I have in my address book at work)

I still use all wood and/or alumi shafts as I hate seeing a $100+ composite stick break on a pass or onetimer attempt.

I've always been a CCM man for skates yet I bought a nice pair of Nikes years ago. I'd go with CCM/RBK if I were to buy a new pair.

Check out http://www.greatskate.com/home.aspx nad get some ideas. You could also go to any Star Center in Dallas area and check out their pro shops, usually can find gear cheaper on line unless they have a good sale going on.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                      where are you going to play at?
                      probably a recreation center in n. arlington in a bronze league to start again, it has three levels bronze, silver, and gold, like i said my goal is to get ice but that's a few seasons away. i bought a pair of mission roller hockey skates for around 120.00 shipped. i'm probably going to go with mission pads that i've found @ .http://hockeyoverstock.com/ itech hockey makes all the mission stuff, so i'm sure the quality is there.
                      where do you play?
                      Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                      Amp... Pioneer
                      Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

I still play around my town on occasion, If I recall correctly, Intermediate sticks are a little thinner than senior sized sticks. What are you going to play mostly? Defensemen usually play with their sticks a little longer. I come to a game/practice/whatever with at least one wood stick, regardless... I break those composite shits all the time. Right now my composites are Easton(which are holding up ok) and my wood is a Hespeler that I've had for years. Most important IMO: Gloves, Skates. Pay good money for these.

Comment

when i first played years ago i used easton with alot of sucess, i'm probably playing center or forward this time around. the league i'm looking into plays with a puck and not a ball... so protective pads are THE most important item on my equipment list.
                          Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                          Amp... Pioneer
                          Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Why is ice a few seasons away? I only played a few times, but I found it easier to play on ice than pavement.

Comment

Originally posted by dk2magic View Post
                              when i first played years ago i used easton with alot of sucess, i'm probably playing center or forward this time around. the league i'm looking into plays with a puck and not a ball... so protective pads are THE most important item on my equipment list.
                              I always hated those fucking street hockey balls. Those things are more lethal than a puck imo. More compact and they are murderous on sticks. I could never get them up in the air very well either.

EDIT: I can't really play on cie a sI can't skate too damn well Pavement is harder though, as the puck can do very weird things sometimes, especially on rough pavement.

Comment

Working...
                              X