Scale model builders--->

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scale model builders--->

I know we've talked about the planes, but what about the models? I used to build models all the time, when I was younger. I want to start building again, but I'm not sure what to start with. I'm going to pick a scale and go with it. I think 1/48 is a good scale. Not too big and expensive, not too small. I've had pretty much all world war II fighters at some time or another, even some of the Japanese planes. I think I'm going to start at the beginning of it all for me, and get myself a Spitfire and Hurricane. Then I'll do a couple of Germans, the BF109, and FW190, and maybe a JU87. For the American planes, I'll start with a P51, and a P4U Corsair.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

"Maybe" a JU87?.......... 1/48 is a good scale. Like you said, big...but not too big or too small. P51 is a nice one or maybe even a P40.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I used to built model planes as well when I was younger. Though it was mostly 1:144 and 1:72 (the Revell kits), and more modern fighter planes. Had the usual stuff, F-4F, F-14, F-15, F-16, F-18, F-19, YF-22, some MiGs (I remember at least a MiG 29 and 31), Panavia Tornado, EF2000...
      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I'm thinking about getting back into this too. Did it as a kid as well. Use to frustrate the shit out of me but maybe I've got more patience now. Not only did I love planes but I loved cars as well. Don't know if they still build the kick ass car kits like they did in the 70's. Man I loved me some Mopar kits back in the day.

I may have to go shopping this weekend.
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

P38 was a fun model as was the Corsair. I built, smashed, blew up a whole squadron of various makes. Wish I still had some of those kits now.

Comment

Been working on this over the past few months. Still needs a bit of work.

Certainly not up to the quality standards I'd like, but it's my first attempt after a long hiatus.
            This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

I am a pro scale model builder and i must say it looks great. I don't like the 1939/40 era german tanks but this looks cool enough to catch my attention. It would look cooler with some acsesories. I should post picks of my "panzers" sometime.

Zeg

You should find the right tools first. Can you tell me what kind of stuff you got?

Comment

Originally posted by destructin_od View Post
                I am a pro scale model builder and i must say it looks great.
                Thanks!

It would look cooler with some acsesories. I should post picks of my "panzers" sometime.
                I agree, some photoetch would have helped. Especially since it's the old 70s Tamiya kit. I had it lying around in the basement, and thought I'd see what I could do without spending too much money the first time around.

By all means post your panzers! Oh, uh, Zeegler--sorry for the hijack. Back to 1/48 scale planes....

Comment

Destructin Don't make me whip out some of my WarHammer 40K stuff on here you know what I'm talking about the 25mm scale Minis & all the strange looking vehicles that game has in it. Thats a great German tank also looks awsome!
                  According To The Prophecy

Comment

WOW pet.
                    That looks purty to me!!!!
                    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                    --floydkramer

Comment

I am a pro scale model builder and i must say it looks great. I don't like the 1939/40 era german tanks but this looks cool enough to catch my attention. It would look cooler with some acsesories. I should post picks of my "panzers" sometime.

Zeg

You should find the right tools first. Can you tell me what kind of stuff you got?
                      Tools? I don't need anything other than a nice sharp scalpel, and some fine sandpaper.

Comment

Originally posted by petedz View Post
                        Thanks!

I agree, some photoetch would have helped. Especially since it's the old 70s Tamiya kit. I had it lying around in the basement, and thought I'd see what I could do without spending too much money the first time around.

By all means post your panzers! Oh, uh, Zeegler--sorry for the hijack. Back to 1/48 scale planes....
                        Hey no worries man. The tank looks awesome. Personally, I'm not into the realism to that extent. I don't have the time or patience with all the other stuff I waste time with. I just try to make sure the paint scheme is accurate, decals are placed properly, etc. When I have one done, I'll post pics. I guarantee it won't be impressive though.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                          Tools? I don't need anything other than a nice sharp scalpel, and some fine sandpaper.
                          An inexpensive single action airbrush would help. Also, I highly recommend finding a bottle of Mr. Surfacer 500. It's liquid putty, and when properly used, can save hours of putty/sand/scribe/repeat grief.

Comment

Originally posted by petedz View Post
                            An inexpensive single action airbrush would help. Also, I highly recommend finding a bottle of Mr. Surfacer 500. It's liquid putty, and when properly used, can save hours of putty/sand/scribe/repeat grief.
                            I probably will get myself a decent airbrush. My old one was a piece of shit anyway. I might look into that Surfacer stuff too.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                              I probably will get myself a decent airbrush. My old one was a piece of shit anyway. I might look into that Surfacer stuff too.
                              My english is not perfect so i am going to post pix of the tools you need.

To cut out the pieces of the cluster. Don't try to pick them with your hand. It might damage the piece.
                              (sandpaper will do, but this will help you to clean out some tight locations. dont use it on the main surfaces like wings or body. It leaves some marks if not used properly)
                              You already have it.
                              This is not a must. But i use it and i like it a lot. It is much more sensitive. And much more easy to work on little pieces (wich are mostly fragile) like landing gears, cockpit etc.

To apply transfers more easily and to glue some pieces too little to hold between your fingers.

This the thing what use when the model needs some drilling. (really??) Most of the planes you want to build have some loads under their wings. Like bombs and maybe rockets (f4u4 or p51). They are optional and the holes mostly are not there. This will help you a lot.

To prevent FUWP (fucking up while painting) i am using this. Mostly on german planes. They have the asymetrical geometric patterns. Masking is a must if you are painting with an airbrush.

like this.

You are also going to need some nice brushes. 000 to 2. To paint details and give the model the "realistic" feeling. Like oil leeks, paint corrosions in some parts etc.
                              Last edited by destructin_od; 03-01-2008, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X