Quited smoking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quited smoking...

...and i can tell you i am feeling much better already. Its been 2 days and counting. Any advise ? How can i improve my will about this?
    Last edited by destructin_od; 02-26-2008, 06:03 PM.

Congrats on the no smoking thing. It's amazing how quick you feel a difference. It doesn't take long...

As for advise, I have none. I've been quit about a year now, it's my second time. I smoked for about 15 years then quit for 5 then smoked again for another 5. So I'm on my second quit. But I used Zyban. No will power whatsoever. So that took away all cravings...

One thing I tried to do was avoid places where people smoke. At first the smell was inviting. After a while it turned disgusting. But evey once and a while I get a whiff of smoke and think it would be nice to smoke again. The urge never really leaves you...
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I quit cold-turkey too about 5 years ago. Congrats! BTW, (wears Ron's hat), there is no quited. Its 'quit' J/K

the secret is that smoking releases dopamine which is the "happy hormone". dopamine is released also with eating food that you like and by working out. so, you know the answer...when craving hits you...
      Sam

Comment

The first few days are easy when willpower is high.

The trap is when you "reward" yourself by having "just one" a week or two after you quit. Then, bammo, you're back on em.

Or so I've been told.

- E.
        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
          I quit cold-turkey too about 5 years ago. Congrats! BTW, (wears Ron's hat), there is no quited. Its 'quit' J/K

the secret is that smoking releases dopamine which is the "happy hormone". dopamine is released also with eating food that you like and by working out. so, you know the answer...when craving hits you...
          Hey go easy on me ! I am a Turkey you know. :ROTF:

Thanks for the advice. I am trying to avoid eating too much. If the urge gets too strong, i go eat fruit or go outside and have some air. Working out is not my thing.

Comment

That little voice inside your head that tells you to buy smokes will be there for a long while. Stay strong. Shortly, you will begin to cough up all kinds of colorful matter. When you think about having a ciggy, punch yourself hard in the leg or pinch something sensitive. It's funny, but you can condition yourself this way.

If you can make it through the discomfort, see about getting more into sport or exercise. The healthier you live, the less smoking will appeal to you. Over time, you will forget the discomfort you experienced in your heaviest smoking period. This is the point that most of my smoker buddies lapse back into puffage. If you can stay away, you will get to a point where cigarettes don't matter to you.

It sounds like your will is pretty strong. Going cold turkey for even a couple of days is tough. Good luck battling the addiction.

A

Comment

"Going cold turkey"

Should be easy for the thread starter.
              "POOP"

Comment

Also, if you get body-aches, headaches, fever, etc. those are completely normal. I suffered for a few days. They say that it takes almost 5 years for the body to completely cleanse itself of all the bad stuff.
                Sam

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                  "Going cold turkey"

Should be easy for the thread starter.
                  No it is not. Unless it means me getting inside of a fridge and staying that way until i quit smoking. Hey maybe i can do that !

Comment

dest, I'm gonna be right behind you.
                    good job so far, and keep it up.
                    play guitar when all else fails.
                    the jitters can provide awesome vibrato.
                    I started at 24
                    quit for 2 years
                    went back
                    quit for 1 year
                    you know the rest
                    my last effort was 80 days... then... the pats lost in the playoffs (last season)
                    never quit quitting
                    be my inspiration!!!!
                    spikey
                    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                    --floydkramer

Comment

Congratulations...keep at it, you can do it!. I'd say after only 2 days...just dont go out drinking. I quit cold turkey about 14 years ago when my first son was born, he was my motivation for quiting actually, quit several times before that but couldnt stick to it.
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                        Congratulations...keep at it, you can do it!. I'd say after only 2 days...just dont go out drinking.
                        I will remember that.

@spike

Thanks man , means a lot.

Comment

And don't "switch to" cigars, either.
                          I have seen three of my coworkers do that, one went right back into cigarettes, and two are inhaling the cigars as if they were cigarettes. Bad mistake!

Cigars are a different animal altogether, not meant to be inhaled.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                            And don't "switch to" cigars, either.
                            I have seen three of my coworkers do that, one went right back into cigarettes, and two are inhaling the cigars as if they were cigarettes. Bad mistake!

Cigars are a different animal altogether, not meant to be inhaled.
                            When i said i quit smoking i meant "I quit smoking." Smoking cigar is smoking too. So thats not going to happen.

Comment

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                              --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                              X