Making my own music...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making my own music...

Hey guys, i am very interested in making my own music on my computer. Drums, bass, guitar, all of it. I dont want it to sound ****ty, but i dont want it to cost 2 grand ya know? I would like to find a way to be able to hook my guitar into my computer and record it also. I have a Boogie MkIv and i think it has some sort of way to do that, but i dont know what type of software and equipment i need on my computer, and if my computer can even handle it? Basicly, i dont know what im doing, help me... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Making my own music...

Ook, first things first:
    Your computer:
    Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties" and tell me what it says on the "General" page (not the registration info, but the processor/memory/Windows version info). Also look on the back of the computer and tell me what connections the sound card has (should have Mic In, Line In, and Speakers).
    If it's at least a Pentium 3 with 128 MB RAM, you're in good shape.

Your Amp:
    Your amp might have a Line Out, Direct Out, or Recording Out (should be labeled as such). For that you need a regular shielded guitar-type cable, or one of those 1/4" to 1/8" audio cables. You can also get a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. If your amp can't do it, see about a POD or a good mic and a soundproof doghouse to put your cabinet in [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Software:
    Lots of choices. I use CoolEdit 2000. Costs about $200 for the basic program with the 4-tracking plugin/upgrade and 2 enhancement upgrades (EQ and FX). There's others out there, but some have reported problems with Guitar Trax. Your mileage may vary.
    For bass and drums - might as well get Guitar Pro ($30) and Tab it out [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Also, to get convincing drum sounds, get either an SR-16 or a high-quality soundfont/soundbank for your sound card (depending on which model you have - should be a SoundBlaster). Or you could get the SR-16 and get a good Bass soudfont/soundbank for your card instead. You can find these by searching online.

Newc

[ June 10, 2003, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Newc ]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Re: Making my own music...

Ok, my computer has Win98, Pentium III and 128.MB RAM... On the back there is a mic, and an in and out.
      My amp has a recording out. Also some other things i dont know what they do, like a slave out, and satelite jacks. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] One problem though, the computer and my amp are three floors apart, and my mom wont let me move the computer, any way of getting around this other than moving my guitar?

Software, hm... seems there are many choices, i hope my computer has enough memory on it to hold all that stuff. What are these soundfont and soundbanks you speak of? what do they do? Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
      X