Jaded!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaded!

Several months ago, I attended an estate auction hoping to score a guitar or two. I missed out on a real jewel (an old Martin acoustic), but I did see something over in the corner that caught my attention as well as my wallet.

According to the seller, this jade statue had been in the family for several years and had been used mostly as a door stop. She had no further knowledge of the statue. I asked her much she wanted and she stated $100. She then told me that the damn thing weighed 60 pounds. So I offered her a buck per pound and she agreed.

The statue has no numbers, markings, etc, etc to indicate when it was carved or where. I figured for $60, I could always sell it to a local jeweler just for the jade content. I would appreciate any information or a possible direction I can take to find out more about this statue. Here's some pics.

Now toejam, dodn't get too excited over the moobage!
    "POOP"

I sincerely doubt that is jade.:ROTF: It looks more like Indian version of Satchmo.:ROTF:
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

If it is. You are rich.

Comment

I don't know anything about it but it certainly looks cool.

Comment

I decided to take a few more pictures. Here's two shots of the base showing the actual saw lines. It also shows the the "possible" jade was polished to a certain point and then stopped. Also, there is one photo of the top of the head showing the "vein lines" which is quite common in jade.

I'm open for any suggestions or comments, minus the moob comments.
          "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post

Now toejam, dodn't get too excited over the moobage!
            Is there any way you can pierce them? :ROTF:
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Kinda looks like Alvin Wilson
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Now that is a neat Buddha. Either way, real or not, you are going to come out smelling like a rose in this one. Very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernXer View Post
                  Now that is a neat Buddha. Either way, real or not, you are going to come out smelling like a rose in this one. Very cool.
                  Unless I get a hernia from moving the damned thing!
                  "POOP"

Comment

I remembered Soapstone for some reason. Here is some info. http://molly.kalafut.org/jade/fake.html
                    Last edited by fett; 02-24-2008, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the link. It may very well be soapstone. Would I need to have it examined by a geologist or would another source be more accurate?
                      "POOP"

Comment

If it's real, that's at least $2000 in raw material.

A geologist WOULD be the most accurate, I'd say.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                          Thanks for the link. It may very well be soapstone. Would I need to have it examined by a geologist or would another source be more accurate?
                          If it's soapstone, then it will be quite soft, and you should be able to scratch it VERY easily. Try scratching the bottom with something.
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

That thing would give me nightmares if I had it in my house.
                            "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

I hate stupid people.

http://www.myspace.com/28wicked

Comment

Holy Crap!!!! It's Bill after a few bowls!!!!!! :ROTF:
                              Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Working...
                              X