studio gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studio gear

hey all. my band is currently recording our latest CD. i noticed something funny when i went back and looked at our old studio diaries and looked at my current rigs in the studio. i use TOTALLY different stuff when i record VS. when i play live. i love my USA jacksons and my rivera amps, but i don't use them in the studio!!! i use them live. in the past, in the studio, it has been a random selection of strats and hamers, or a gibson here and there, for guitars. for amps, in the past, i have used marshalls, boogies and fenders. THIS time around, for guitars i find myself using a brian moore C90P and a fender telecaster. i have been using the brian moore through a boogie triple rectifier and the telecaster through my JCM800 - both with their matching cabs. the brian moore is my left side guitar and the tele is my right side guitar. the leads are up in the air as i haven't done them yet. for my clean sounds i am using my 63 tremolux and my uncle's 64 strat along with my fender reverb unit.

now, i own all the gear except the triple rec 1/2 stack. that belongs to the studio. this time, when we did pre-production in my studio, i tried my marshall rig, my boogie rig, my rivera rig, my fender rig, and a friend's H&K triamp rig...i THOUGHT i was gonna go with the marshall and the rivera. i usually HATE rectos, but man...it blended very well with the JCM800.

as far as guitars, i was expecting to use the brian moore a little. i ALWAYS record with that guitar - i have never played it live. i was really thinking i'd pretty much go in with my live rig and blast out these tracks. NOPE...

anyone else with recording experience find this to be the case?
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

why all the different stuff to record?
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
      h i usually HATE rectos, but man...it blended very well with the JCM800.
      They are a match made in heaven!
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Well, I don't have that much to choose from, so it can't be totally different... like for guitars, I only own Jacksons...
        But you have to use what sounds best in the studio, even if there are surprises.

I always thought my ENGL cab was the perfect match for my ENGL Fireball, I was always way more happy with it than any Marshall cab that was part of the backline at some gigs.
        But when we recorded our debut album and did the soundcheck, we had some Marshall cabs at the studio to choose from (I brought my ENGL cab of course). Ended up using two Marshall cabs and ditched the ENGL, because they sounded better in the room.
        http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

well....it depends. when we went to the studio last year we recorded with what is basically our live rigs, meaning that we both used our main live guitars (=favorite guitars obviously ), the other dude's live amp (powerball) for rhythms and my live amp (cobra) for leads...we also double tracked the rhythms with my 5150, but that's actually the only piece of equipment that we recorded with but don't use live (as of right now...lol).
          on the other hand, my previous band recorded with a rectifier (rented) and a sansamp, but is using marshall amps live, so go figure....

basically, the reason we went in there and recorded with our live stuff is that we know it inside out and we know that it sounds good, so why start any experiments with rented mesas or whatever which you got to learn how to dial in first despite of the fact that time=money.

Comment

I used my SLSMG in the studio, but also a '73 LP Custom, a Blade Strat, a '61 Martin 00, etc. The beauty of a studio with good gear is...Using it!
            Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Working...
            X