Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't believe Iron Maiden still is so good!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe Iron Maiden still is so good!

Well, during all those early years I've listened to metal music, I always thought Maiden is a great band but never been a fan of them, never bought and listened to an album in its whole, always separate songs that I heard here and there. Whenever I heard their songs I thought they were really good. Although many people think they are repetitive and lack originality, all the famous Maiden songs are like summaries of metal music imo

Then at some point I bought and started listening to Virtual XI and then X Factor (yeah in reverse order ) I thought those albums were a great move for Maiden (I listened to them many years after their releases ) both because of the more progressive and more modern approach. Then they seemed to continue that way with Brave New World and Dance of Death for which I somehow didn't care that much. And then came the time I really witnessed the release of a Maiden album A Matter of Life and Death (I waited for its release!) I liked the album a lot overall but I didn't find the time to listen it again and again.

And nowadays I'm giving it multiple spins and each time I do I can't believe how good the song "Brighter than a thousand Suns" is

I was just watching it on YouTube and I kinda agree with the masterpiece comments. Adrian Smith has always been my fav. Maiden guitarist and still is, his solo on this one is another killer! It's incredible how they can write such amazing stuff after so many years...

Watch the video and decide for yourself. UP THE IRONS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHY2qZhKMng
    Check my bands!
    www.myspace.com/magicktr
    www.myspace.com/sinif64
    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
    Well, during all those early years I've listened to metal music, I always thought Maiden is a great band but never been a fan of them, never bought and listened to an album in its whole, always separate songs that I heard here and there. Whenever I heard their songs I thought they were really good. Although many people think they are repetitive and lack originality, all the famous Maiden songs are like summaries of metal music imo

Then at some point I bought and started listening to Virtual XI and then X Factor (yeah in reverse order ) I thought those albums were a great move for Maiden (I listened to them many years after their releases ) both because of the more progressive and more modern approach. Then they seemed to continue that way with Brave New World and Dance of Death for which I somehow didn't care that much. And then came the time I really witnessed the release of a Maiden album A Matter of Life and Death (I waited for its release!) I liked the album a lot overall but I didn't find the time to listen it again and again.

And nowadays I'm giving it multiple spins and each time I do I can't believe how good the song "Brighter than a thousand Suns" is

I was just watching it on YouTube and I kinda agree with the masterpiece comments. Adrian Smith has always been my fav. Maiden guitarist and still is, his solo on this one is another killer! It's incredible how they can write such amazing stuff after so many years...

Watch the video and decide for yourself. UP THE IRONS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHY2qZhKMng
    I don't like Blaze Bailey with Maiden at all... I take that back.. the only song that I liked from Blaze was Clansman.. I'll take Bruce or Di'anno any day. Iron Maiden (Bruce and Paul Era) have also been my favorite band... no matter what..
    Last edited by JetFixxxer; 02-19-2008, 05:53 PM.
    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Well the musical change was not related with Blaze imo, it was bound the happen and it just happened when Blaze came, I like those 2 albums better than most Maiden albums but yeah Bruce is amazing!
      Check my bands!
      www.myspace.com/magicktr
      www.myspace.com/sinif64
      www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

These guys are so blessed. They just never lost their edge. Bruce's voice just gets more raw and heavy.

Comment

not a fan of galloping heavy metal at all but I've always dug Maiden... they listened to a lot of prog stuff like Genesis, Yes, ELP etc. and took a lot of cool chord voicing ideas from those bands

and overall their melodies and chord progressions are pretty interesting
          and for a metal band they are not really heavy... they have their own unique and distinct sound wich separates them from the others

and of course Bruce is an extremely good singer, the guitarists are very tasty and Nicko is one of the most unique heavy metal drummers ever, more swing and no stupid double bass wanking
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
            Then at some point I bought and started listening to Virtual XI and then X Factor (yeah in reverse order ) I thought those albums were a great move for Maiden (I listened to them many years after their releases ) both because of the more progressive and more modern approach.
            The X Factor is a great album!!

Virtual XI sucks! The choruses are just repeated over and over and driven into the ground, boring basic drum patterns with no tom fills... did they program a drum machine and send Nicko on vacation? The first song on the album, Futureal, is the only song on the album worth listening to, but even that's not so great.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Maiden are such a great band. They still rock live and continue to bring out really excellent albums. The last one was great, a really good grower. I listened to it loads when it came out because I knew they were going to be playing it in full live. It has a great atmosphere to it.

Comment

I went off them with No Prayer, because the songs were all starting to feel same-ish and Nicko's playing got very, very dull.

But I have enjoyed their last few albums. It has reinvigorated my love for the band & their first 6 albums. I'm buying new Maiden again. I really like the way Bruce's voice is aging, and Adrian & Dave's playing just goes from strength to strength.

Plus the historical dvds have been great. And they still bring it live. The gig last week was great fun & a great show.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

I'm a massive Maiden fan (and love Adrian Smith's playing), but I must admit that after Fear of the Dark, the only whole studio album I've liked was Brave New World.
                  There are only 2 songs from the Blaze era I like (Man on the Edge and Lord of the Flies) and I like a few songs here or there from Dance of Death and A Matter of Life and Death, but really they're CDs I probably wouldn't buy again.....
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Blaze is cool on his own, but NOT with Maiden. The three solo "Blaze" releases and his old band Wolfsbane is classic stuff.

Maiden still kicks ass. Bruce, like his peers..does show a little wear at times live...but anyone could have an off night..well, except for Jorn Lande. Bruce still kicks major ass in the studio..and that's all me and my bong care about.

I love Bruce's solo stuff w/ Roy Z best. Chemical Wedding anyone? I prefer Halford's solo stuff as well.

Anyone have DiAnno's re-released "The Living end"..it came out as "Nomad" in 2000...I got it then. It's probably the best original stuff he's done in a very long time..IMO.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Maiden Rules!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                        I'm a massive Maiden fan (and love Adrian Smith's playing), but I must admit that after Fear of the Dark, the only whole studio album I've liked was Brave New World.
                        There are only 2 songs from the Blaze era I like (Man on the Edge and Lord of the Flies) and I like a few songs here or there from Dance of Death and A Matter of Life and Death, but really they're CDs I probably wouldn't buy again.....
                        + a billion

I dig everything from the early stuff through fear. I even liked the stripped down thing on no prayer...

The X Factor was interesting, it has kind of a doomy atmosphere. Some good songs on there as well, sign of the cross, lord of the flies. Fortunes of war is also one of my fav maiden tunes. I think virus was great as well.

Virtual XI, thank you but no thank you!

Brave new world was a great comeback album, I spun that a lot when it came out. The last two I have had trouble getting in to.

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                        I love Bruce's solo stuff w/ Roy Z best. Chemical Wedding anyone? I prefer Halford's solo stuff as well.
                        Chemical Wedding and balls to picasso, even though that album has aged somewhat. The live versions are cool though. Check out laughing in the hiding bush in Sao Paulo. Perfection.
                        Last edited by levantin; 02-20-2008, 01:33 AM.
                        I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Virtual XI has a great lead guitar sound
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                            Virtual XI has a great lead guitar sound
                            I thought the same thing in camparison to their other stuff. Their tone has improved since Brave New World..IMO!

Now the big pink one!!!

WASSUP E!!!
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I saw Iron Maiden tonight in IngleWood (The Forum).

Holy fucking christ on a stick..That's all I can say...
                              Originally posted by horns666
                              The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Working...
                              X