UPS and over 3 cu ft BEWARE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPS and over 3 cu ft BEWARE

I charged $40 to ship a cased guitar. This one went to New York. I learned the formula they use to calculate the shipping charge. It works like this for a package over 3 cu ft ; L x W x H divided by 194. Here's how my 16 pounds turned into 40 pounds; 45in x 21in x 5in, Shipping cost $50. In other words a normal box for shipping a guitar. I'll remember that next time.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

fett alot of companies do that they call it dimensional weight. i believe the postal service is the only shippers that dont use dim weight on oversized shipments.

Comment

It was a surprise to me. Next time I'll try USPS. But the UPS Store is so handy.

Comment

Yep I almost always get hit with an oversized box charge. Post those dim. on the box to ship it overseas and it's like $300.

Comment

I got reamed. I went to the UPS Site and did the calculation. According to the UPS Site an oversized box has to hit 5184 according for the formula to kick in. My box was only 4725. According to the Site, I should has been charged for the actual weight. $26. I guess, I just figured out where a UPS Store makes their money. Fuk that noise.

Comment

Yeah you are always better off going straight to a UPS drop off that is run by UPS instead of one of those UPS stores or a UPS alliance store like Staples.

Comment

I know a UPS Store has to make a profit. But to charge almost twice as much is robbery. I'm very glad I found this out now.

Comment

You all know I buy cheap guitars.:ROTF: Go to Squier Guitar on ebay. The shipping cost is all over the place. That's great as a Buyer. But as a Seller, the last thing I want to do is underestimate the shipping cost. The UPS Store guy did me shipping + 45%. So, I see a $100 Squier that will cost me $50 or more for shipping. Pass. Unless I see a gem.

Comment

If you have a fedex or kinkos near you go that rout. Should be about $20 to ship a guitar in case using FedEx.

Comment

I shipped one not long ago for $15 though UPS. I was shocked it was so cheap! In case, in a box none the less! Granted it was only going like 3-400 miles but still.
                    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

There is no question that my UPS Store is not a place I will use again.

Comment

It would cost 200 bucks approx to get an electric guitar from USA to UK, so I have to consider that everytime I wanna order something from across the pond. And that's before the VAT and duty. I won't post any guitar I wanna sell. The buyer must collect. The UK postal system has stupid size/weight restrictions and prices too.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                          I got reamed. I went to the UPS Site and did the calculation. According to the UPS Site an oversized box has to hit 5184 according for the formula to kick in. My box was only 4725. According to the Site, I should has been charged for the actual weight. $26. I guess, I just figured out where a UPS Store makes their money. Fuk that noise.
                          The UPS Store is a rip-off. Go to a regular UPS location or someplace that's an authorized UPS shipper, like a Staples copy center or something.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                            Call 1800 PICKUPS and bitch. Im sure theyll compensate you in some way.
                            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

The UPS store is fine - just make sure to pay for your package online first then just drop it off at the store.

Comment

Working...
                              X