Dune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dune

I'm re-reading the first 4 books in the series... damn... must be 20 years ago that I read them the first time.
    Anyone else into this?
    I find it incredible...
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Pretty amazing that you brought this up. I re-read Dune around X-mas time, and hadn't read any of the sequels, but went ahead & read the 2nd book, and I'm about 2/3 of the way through #3. I agree that they are great books. IMO, Herbert was kind of like Tolkien as far as creating such a detailed & rich backstory. You really believe the universe he creates, and not all SF writers are able to pull that off.

Comment

Great story, great characters, and great writing. As an example of the excellent writing, the descriptions of how the Atreides family members interpret others' actions to discern their machinations are superbly intelligent.

What's really amazing is Frank Herbert's foresight... The book was published in 1965, when I think that world dependence on oil was not as high as it is now.

I've read the sequels too, but found them to be lacking. And the ones written by his son (?) after his death are pretty bad.
      Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

I'm only a "fan" of the first one, but I've read the second and third books.

Comment

I've heard that his son tried to pick up the ball and run with it, and was interested in how he did... I guess not so good.
          Too bad.

I agree that the first book is the best... I think I gave up last time in the middle of #4
          hehe
          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

the film was wierd

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
              the film was wierd
              It was directed by David Lynch, of course it was weird!

The Miniseries with William Hurt made a bit more sense.

Comment

First time I read Dune I thought it was a pile of garbage. Not sure why but I gave it another chance a few years later and thought it was one of the best books I'd ever read.
                I should really read that and the others again.
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post

But I believe that he tried to have his name taken off it. I think he did on certain releases.

I'd heard that there's also a complete Dune film by quite a famous director that a studio has not released. This is from years ago and I have to assume that they didn't release it because it was rubbish or a bit out there.
                  Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post

It did, and what I liked about it was that it followed the book a little more closely.

Originally posted by shobet View Post
                    But I believe that he tried to have his name taken off it. I think he did on certain releases.

I'd heard that there's also a complete Dune film by quite a famous director that a studio has not released. This is from years ago and I have to assume that they didn't release it because it was rubbish or a bit out there.
                    Well, isn't it? That hasn't stopped any other Science Fiction movies from being released (not to mention most action movies). Most movies are disappointments, really. I would see another version of Dune.

Comment

Great book. The film by Lynch was a bit strange until I saw it after I read the book. Now I can fill in the missing pieces with what I know from the book. I heard that the original cut of that movie was like 5 hours long and the studio made him cut out 3 hours of it because "no one will go to see a 3-4 hour long movie".
                      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonDean View Post
                        It did, and what I liked about it was that it followed the book a little more closely.

Well, isn't it? That hasn't stopped any other Science Fiction movies from being released (not to mention most action movies). Most movies are disappointments, really. I would see another version of Dune.
                        I stand corrected it was in pre-production.
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_movie
                        Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Did I ever mention that my father knew Herbert very well.?
                          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Dune is fucking awesome. I loved the first few books, but they started to suck after all the original Atreides died off, then I never ended up reading the rest.

Paul Muad'dib Atreides FTW!!

Comment

One of the best films I ever watched.
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X