Some modded JCM800 Satriani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some modded JCM800 Satriani

Clip of flying in a blue dream with the Voodoo JCM800. I did use two takes to record this - I played it in a band about 10 years ago, but haven't played it for a looooong time. You can tell what parts I kinda remember and which ones I forgot. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyways, amp was recorded into an SM57 into a behringer ultragain pro mic pre, into my soundblaster. I added a little reverb - that was IT. No eq, no nothing. Raw amp tone. Guitar used was a '95 Charvel USA SD III 24 fret strat w/quilt top and H/S/S pickups, floyd rose. Birdseye maple neck and rosewood board.

file is a 68k mono mp3, so it's around 2.5 mb or so. Not the best quality, but you can hear things pretty well. And yes, I found the backing track somewheres... I didn't record it. Just the main guitar stuff.

http://members.cox.net/ampclips/bluedream.mp3

Pete

Re: Some modded JCM800 Satriani

Beautiful tone from the JCF's resident tone afficionado! I'm familiar with that Satch song, but I wouldn't know where you "messed up" because I haven't listened to that one too much. I thought it sounded fantastic regardless of "mistakes". [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

I suddenly feel thoroughly inadequate. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Must...practice...more. Doh!
      This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

thanks guys. The song is full of clams, but hey, the backing track helps cover it up. Like I said, it was two passes, and I used one pass because it had better feedback and the other one had a better outro. Most of the song was a one take deal. Oh well... full o' clams but I dug the tone and had fun. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Nice rich lead tone with gobs of character and wow what sustain you have...

I didn't like the crunch that it had in the other clips you posted though, not crunchy/brutal enough for my needs. But, that lead tone is outstanding.

My CAE being a three channel preamp, and not being able to use the 2nd ch. for much, I have trouble getting a nice "controllable" lead tone for stuff like that that isn't combined with picknoise etc.

I use a lot of Eq'd edge and distortion in my main ch. to get my brutal crunch and that leaves lotsa picknoise and sonic artifacts when I try to play stuff like that...

I need to get my second channel modded... That Voodu stuff is cool...

Comment

That sounded great! I only heard a few clams.. that was really good! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Pete, what can I say! I think you nailed that tone. What a great sounding amp and such great playing ability you have. Once again, I'm very impressed [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Dave->
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

damn man, you've nailed the early satriani tone. Its the exact tone he had on always with me always with you...Well done, excellent playing as well.
                Cheers

Comment

nice one, Pete. as always [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] It's going to be a scary day, the day you actually decide to make an all-out effort on a track, instead of just relying on your memory from when you used to play the song "back in the day". [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Actually, what am I talking about? "Chunks Is My Dog" was BRILLIANT and I still listen to it. Anyone who missed that one should definitely check it out and see what Pete is really capable of. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Another wonderfully played piece. So Damn close I could hardly tell it wasnt the Satch. I actually preferred your tone to the original. WOW! That modded Marshall smokes. Pete your playing and Tech abilities never cease too amaze me. And what a great way to sell someone on the amp you are moving. I dont even need an amp and now I think I must have that one you are using. Im off too count my change collection and return a garage full of bottle returns to see if I can swing another purchase. I am having major G.A.S. right now thanks to Pete. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ric

Comment

great playing Pete....I love that nasally hot rod Marshall tone...nice feedback too.
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Man, that thing sounds awesome!! Nice choice of song, I think that song brought out the tonal characteristics of it a lot. Nice playing too. If i would have just bought my Metaltronix, i would have jumped on this deal!!

Comment

great job...

what kind of pricing do they charge for mods? i think i went to their site before and didnt see anything... dont remember the link either [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dave

Comment

I believe the high gain mods start around $329 or so and go to $429, plus options.

If I didn't dig my egnater so much I'd have kept the JCM800... it was great once the bad tubes were replaced. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

the question is how much will Twister Amps charge to mod a 2203? hehehe
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X