Stupid little ballad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid little ballad

Ok, lets see how it goes this time. This is actually something I came up with today. The solo on top is totally improvised. I am not feeling like playing anything metal-related today so you will have to endure the inherent sadness of this clip.

Not met

Technical info:

Pickups: EMG SAs (Middle + Neck)
    Guitar: Charvel 650XL
    Pre-amp: Rocktron Voodu valve
    Extra processing: BBE sonic maximizer 422A
    Power amp: Mesa 50/50
    Cabinet: Madison 2x12
    Microphone: Condenser Apex 430 (cardioid)
    Mixer and mic preamp: Behringer UB802
    Drums: Boss DR-50
    Software: Cakewalk Guitar tracks 2.0

Plese, please let me know what you think!... it is important for me in order to learn.

Thanks,

Rodrigo

[ April 30, 2003, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Re: Stupid little ballad

Rodrigo,

I like it! I think the solo fits well with the mood of the piece. I also like the lead tone on the clip.

There was a spot where it sounded like you were trying to find the right note.

Do you find these kind of backing tracks are harder to solo over than the usual rock/metal? Ifind it difficult to come up with good solos for these type of backing tracks, these are the kinds of things I need to practice!

NOT stupid at all!!

DRH

[ April 30, 2003, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: DRH ]

Comment

I thought it was great! One thing I would change, though.

When doing cleans, use your neck pickup for the leads. My ears early in this morning couldn't take the "harshness" of the bridge pickup. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Word:
        When doing cleans, use your neck pickup for the leads. My ears early in this morning couldn't take the "harshness" of the bridge pickup. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks guys...

DRH: As for the soloing... I find these clean sections easy to solo over!... this one is on E (I think.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ). I used to have adrummer who was a die hard Johnson fun (weird!) and he hammered in my head the whole clean "feeling" thing... and kept going on and on about Morse and how he was able to do it but I wasn't... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ... my sound for cleans is VERY compresed because of my passion for Bratta's and Timmons's work...

Word: I made a mistake in the technical info. There is no bridge pickup anywhere here. The first portion of the solo was done with middle SA + neck SA. The second part changes and goes to the neck!...If you describe what you mean by "harshness" I can probably try equalize to smoothen it out because I have the original tracks...

[ April 30, 2003, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

Put your amp on the clean channel, put the selector switch on the bridge, turn the amp up and hit a note hard at the 24th fret. You'll see what I mean. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

That sounded great dude, i like your clean sound

Comment

It sounded more like a song for a vacation in a tropical country than a love ballad to me, but I REALLY enjoyed it. Maybe I feel that way because I just finished my last exam yesterday and I'm now on my summer vacation! And it's only April... heheh.

That Boss DR-50 sounds really nice... I might have to pick one up now!

Comment

Very cool... Nice tones and tasteful!

Mic seems to be pretty excellent. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks all...

Anders: I have decided to drop the competition with you on that song and go for another one by Satriani... you will know when I post.

Shakeel: The clean sound there has a name!... two SA pickups with an EXG circuit! You can't beat that!... best sound that ever touched my ears... I am coming to the realization that you dont need a humbucker in the neck!... David Gilmour was right when he chose this setup!...

Number of the priest: Well, the salsa there is because I am colombian and I have listened to tropical music my whole life so that must have done something to my style!... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The dr-5 is one of the best bangs for the buck around... they seem to be given away on e-bay these days. Cool machine. Roght now I am interfacing mine to my midi port on the computer and playing with that... lets see what happens.

John: Thanks, I really appreciate anything that comes from you. Can we share some Voodu setups?... I have been trying to get people to do that but I have not been successful. Right now I am figuring out how to download stuff from the internet and upload it in to the voodu via midi...

[ April 30, 2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: rodrigo_echeverri ]

Comment

As always R, thank you for your kind words.

I'll have to look at my voodu here... It's on a shelf at this time and I need to dig up the Power supply..

But really... I basically only used two tone settings on mine... Clean and a fairly Brutal Distortion setting. I rarely used the Voodu effects other than one week when the Intellifex was out of action. Mostly , I used it as a distortion generator.

Your clean tone is excellent, not sure I could really improve upon it much.

And as for the distortion setting, I have given you the bass pre and post EQ setting trick that really crunches it up and provides definitiond (most all the I'm really concerned with). So, other than that EQ thing, it's really down to personal taste. And after hearing that MP3, I'd say you have a quite trustable taste in that area. I'd like to hear your current distortion sound though.

I'll look to see some of the mid setting stuff I used. That did have a bit to do with my tone also. Treble and presence wise, it was merely adjusted to whatever was enough for clarity and not so much to be irritating.

I'll power it up and look.

It seems that no matter what I play through really, at least of the products that I choose to use of my liking, I generally sound close to the same. I prolly shoot for the same basic tone scheme and I just increase fidelity and some minimal tonal improvements that most people fail to notice.

[ April 30, 2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

I think it's great Rodrigo! I still don't have the nerve to post anything yet. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Dave-&gt;
                      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I'm with Budman

I am trying this home recording thing and I must say I am way to self critical to post. I give everyone credit for doing it and accepting the advice that is offered... I think in 10 years I will have my first recording done
                        It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Originally posted by 83SanDimas:
                          I think in 10 years I will have my first recording done
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, that's about how long it will be for me too.. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ April 30, 2003, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: budman68 ]
                          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Great job! Sounded nice! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Nice to hear something clean for a change... Well, actually I listen to lotsa clean stuff, but mostly metal... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Keep up the nice work [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

(Still waiting to hear your version of Always with me.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Anders
                            https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigo_echeverri:
                              Anders: I have decided to drop the competition with you on that song and go for another one by Satriani... you will know when I post.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well Rodrigo, i didn't really see it as a competition... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But it's your decision, looking forward to hear which song you'll do! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Anders
                              https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Working...
                              X