Updated! Prepare to be amused!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated! Prepare to be amused!

(Edit for those who may not have noticed it was updated - your opinions on the new version are welcome [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

(see new version further down)

Nothing can prepare you for the horror that is ME singing! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Track Details:
    -Guitars: PCS Rhoads (didn't feel like cranking a Floyd down to D, and since it was already set up for low tunings when I got it...)
    -Amp: ADA MP-1 into Digitech TSR-12 into Twister 4w tube power amp into Carvin VE212 cabinet, miked with a Shure SM-57
    -Shure Beta Green BG 1.0 vocal mic
    -Drums and bass lines from a WarPigs GuitarPro file I got at Mysongbook.com, with MIDI instruments provided by an Alesis QSR [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    -Recorded onto an Akai DPS-12 then dumped one track at a time into CoolEdit2K. Vocal effects applied in CoolEdit to make them *snicker* better [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc

[ April 21, 2003, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Newc ]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Updated! Prepare to be amused!

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Pretty funny...not actually THAT bad though! Turned out awesome sounding man good work! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

wow, that's actually some really good sounding drums and bass! You said you got the guitarpro file and then you played it on ur alesis? Or you somehow put it through it for a better sound? (as you can tell I know nothing about MIDI stuff [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) nice stuff, great tone from that twister [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

[ April 20, 2003, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: eet_fuk_81 ]

Comment

Nice guitar tone. I want that PCS [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        www.myspace.com/mortality

Comment

I have a MIDI-to-joystick adaptor, which has two MIDI ports on the end of a cable (IN and OUT), then run the audio outs of the QSR to the recorder (or soundcard via RCA jacks) and then into the sound card. You have to set the MIDI source in GP as MIDI OUT, not MIDI Synth. MIDI Synth is the software that came with your card, which depending on your card, is usually crap [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The drums are actually two different drum patches overlapped and panned hard left and right. Since I'm no MIDI wizard, I haven't programmed anything into the QSR, and still haven't quite figured out how to access the preset patches via MIDI, so I just set it for General MIDI (which are not nearly as good as the QSR is capable of). The bass is also from the QSR's General MIDI patch set - usaully it's just one "voice", but the QSR can stack 4 voices for each instrument, so you could have (for example) a Finger Picked bass going with a Flatpicked Bass on top of it, and add a Fretless bass layer, then put either a Grand Piano on top of all that and mix the individual levels to get the best tone. At least that's what I got out of dissecting the presets [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Right on Newc!

One of my favorite Sabbath tracks. Not too shabby on the vox... but your guitar parts are much stronger. GREAT tones and mix!!!

Annah

Comment

If I don't have a synth is there a program that can give good drum sounds? I've tried fruityloops and the drums just sound like ass when importing a guitarpro drum track. It does have a good 'Realistic' drum set that sounds good but i dont wanna have to remake the whole track (can't seem to be able to take the existing guitarpro drum track and importing it into that set [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] )

Comment

Thanks Annah - your review means a lot to me (since you're like, in a band and all, and you gotta deal with hearing crappy singers/players at auditions and such) [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Seriously, thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I know I'm not the best singer, and not really able to carry a tune in a bucket, but hey, ever hear Ozzy without the music? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                And I'd definitely say that miking a cabinet works much better for me than fighting with tons of post-EQing - now if Pete could make a POD.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Oops, hit the Post button too soon [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                If I can be honest without hurting myself ( [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) I did try singing this a while back and I recorded a bit of it, and I thought it sounded better than it came out here. Well, lo and behold when I thought I was singing before in D was actually Eb, so that means I SHOULD have been playing/singing in Eb, not D like I posted here.
                Soooo anyway to make a long story longer (and to add to your torture [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) I just recut the guitars, bass, and vocals in Eb, and will be posting it here, so Fair Warning [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

As for MIDI drums - depends on how much memory your sound card has. You can look around for SoundFont files that are big and only have one instrument in them (all drums, all guitars, etc - 8-16 MB and up). The higher the sample rate, the better the sound. Since my card's only got 4 MB, I couldn't use any of the good stuff.
                You can also try layering the crappy ones to make a fuller sounding track.

Newc

[ April 20, 2003, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Newc ]

Comment

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Great stuff Newc. I wouldn't beat yourself up about the vocals too much either. They were serviceable, and didn't detract from the performance at all. There are plenty of "pro" vocalists getting paid a lot of money to sound much worse than you.

I actually enjoyed the whole thing, vox & all. Rockin' version. You should be proud [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks, but you know how I like to beat dead horses [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Here's the Eb version (almost wore out my voice trying to nail the D version [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

http://autumn-frost.com/WarPigs2k3-2.mp3

Gear's the same except I used the JCF Rhoads and a Sennheiser e604 drum mic on the cab [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc

[ April 20, 2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Newc ]

Comment

Nice guitar parts...I really liked the tone you had.
                      Let me give you a tip...Stick to JUST guitar! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                      I think that if Ozzy ever heard, he just might be offended! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Nice guitar work...Keep recording stuff with that twister for us! That thing rocks!!

Comment

Not bad at all! I can definatley hear the Louisana accent! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The vocals are actually pretty cool.. you didn't a pretty good job imitating Ozzy. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

dude, you are driving me crazy with that amp.. your tone is awesome!... good work!, keep posting.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thanks guys! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            I was going for that "Live Ozzy" vocal thing [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

[ April 20, 2003, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Newc ]

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X