Mike placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike placement

for those of you that mike your amp, where do you place it? how close, center or off center. I am unhappy with my recorded sound it is too muddy.

Kevin
    It's not a competition, it's a community

Re: Mike placement

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Put a Mike about 8 inches from the cone straight out, then move it about 1/2 the distance to the edge of the speaker (not the cabinet, but the speaker itself), and see what you get. If that doesn't work, add a Bob or Jim to the direct center of the cone [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mic, not Mike [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyhow, play around with different placement options.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

thanks....)
      It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

when I mic my Marshall cab I have the mic just a hair off the grill cloth.. basically right on the cab. I off axis the mic from the center cone just a hair. I have tried every speaker in the 4x12 and for some reason the top left seems to be the best for me...dunno why that is. Mic placement is an art form and really subjective. You should try recording the exact same riff for a few seconds with the same amp/guitar settings, move mic positions from speaker to speaker, distance from the cab, position withing the speaker and listen back make your own judjment. What works for me might not work for you.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

very close to the grill, not towards the center of the speaker but to the mid-outer edges of the speaker.

Comment

Working...
          X