New to home recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to home recording

If I am posting in the wrong forum please let me know.

I have a pc with standard sound card and a $100 midi synth I know I need a midi to gameport cable for the synth, but how do I get the guitar in?

Kevin
    It's not a competition, it's a community

Re: New to home recording

Kevin,
    The answer to your question depends on what amp or pedals you're using, if any. Your sound card most likely has a 1/8" line input jack on it, so starting there, you'll need a cable with a 1/8" male stereo connector on it. I usally get one that is 1/8" male on one end and splits to two 1/4" male jacks on the other. Then you can use either of the 1/4" jacks to plug into your distortion pedal, wah pedal, tuner pedal, etc., or you can just plug it straight into your guitar.

Make sure the line input volume is up (Volume Control) and the mute checkbox isn't checked.

This can get much more complicated depending on your gear, your OS, and the software you're using for recording.

Good luck and rock on!
    Annah

BTW... I think this question should probably go in Tech Q&A.

Comment

Get a Yamaha MT4X 4-track cassette recorder to use as a mini-mixer to run into your soundcard. These things can be had cheap now that everyone's going digital, and even if it can't record to tape it still is a kickass mixer [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

There's two on Ebay right now going for less than $100. I paid $850 for one when they were new.

Or you can hit the BIN on this. It's a wonderful unit. I have one and paid $900 from AMS in Non-sealed Box condition.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=15199

Newc

[ March 24, 2003, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: Newc ]
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thank you for the info... I am going to get the cable and start with my acoustic this week.

I can see more uncontrolable spending heading my way... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Behringer euroracks are also good mixers for the buck... you can get one for less than $100... I am pretty happy with mine (EuroRack UB802)!...

Comment

Of course, the rack stuff is great if you have a rack to mount it in, but how does it do on a tabletop? The MT4X and DPS12 have top-mounted inputs - doesn't the rack stuff have inputs on the bottom so you can use patch cables from units mounted under the mixer in one of those mixer racks (space on top for the mixer, spaces underneath for effects)?

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

eurorack is only a name, the thing is actually a desktop device...

Comment

Thanks Annah, Got the cable 1/2 to 1/8 yesterday and recorded all night.

I miked my amp but I am going try try the pod XT.

I like your sound and was surprised by your description of how you achieved it. Simple and effective.

Somewhere in this house is a tube screaemer, flanger chores etc along with my vintage san dimas trem and brass nob. I am sure I will find them all one day.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kevin

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                X